Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

really sharp stabbing pain

(10 Posts)
tinky19 Thu 11-Aug-11 16:48:08

Hi, 23 weeks preg and getting v painful stabbing pains in my lower left abdomen. They aren't brought on by sudden movement or too much exercise etc, they've just been coming on throughout the day. They only last around 30 seconds but I can't do anything whilst they are happening.
This is my second preg (ds was born by emergency c section)
I don't think they're ligament stretching (too sharp)
Any ideas??

whizzyrocket Thu 11-Aug-11 16:59:27

If they aren't stretching muscles I would suggest that either your baby is lying on something that hurts (mine does that every now and then- when he does I give him a good push to move him) or you need to speak to your midwife.

I probably would call in any case- better to get checked out.

tinky19 Thu 11-Aug-11 17:18:55

baby has been moving today it just really takes my breath away. Very sudden and no apparent cause

tinky19 Thu 11-Aug-11 17:36:43

no body else experienced this? sad

Ernie1 Thu 11-Aug-11 17:49:48

I'm 23 weeks and have been having EXACTLY this for the past couple of days... I put it down to a baby growth spurt stretching everything out.

figgygal Thu 11-Aug-11 19:22:04

I'm 23 weeks tomorrow and had to come home from work earlier due to pains and cramps they were taking my breath away at one point but think mine was gas and constipation related could it have been that?

Catsycat Thu 11-Aug-11 19:52:58

With my second pg, I had some pains that I thought might have been my scar tissue stretching (I had 2 emcs) - I didn't have the pain in my first pg. The internal scarring may not be exactly where the external scar is, as they sew you up in several layers. They tie the stitches off on one side, so that side can be tighter and a bit more sore - mine was on my right side - that might explain the one sidedness. This never caused me an actual problem - it was just part of everything stretching to accomodate the baby. Not sure if this is what you have, but worth checking it out with your midwife if it is worrying you.

Fleecy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:54:33

I had this a couple of weeks ago - it was a few days after a car accident so the midwives said to look out for bleeding, abnormal movement (or reduction in movements) or an pain while the baby is moving.

It's DC3 for me and I've never felt anything like it before!

tinky19 Fri 12-Aug-11 09:41:39

I've been thinking it might be scar tissue as it's very sharp. Bump was very active last night which is better than it being quiet

baroness123 Fri 12-Aug-11 19:03:27

it is most likely ligament stretching. This can be felt quite differently in different women. Some describe sharp stabbing pains and others throbbing or a bruised sensation. It is quite normal and more common in pregnancy 2, 3 or more. The pain usually subsides quickly following rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now