Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity trousers that stay up...

(15 Posts)
stripeywoollenhat Thu 11-Aug-11 15:36:56

any suggestions? or am i just a funny shape (nearly 6 months, normally size 14, now like an inflating beachball)? or is there some belly band/safety pin arrangement i need to resort to? very demoralising, somehow, to have to keep hauling one's trousers up all day long....

NatashaBee Thu 11-Aug-11 15:41:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IssyStark Thu 11-Aug-11 15:42:26

My only solution has been to get over-the-bump styles whenever I can. Anything which just sits on or underneath the bump just falls off.

Last pregnancy, before I realised the uselessness of any under bump style for me, I had a pair of under bump 3/4 length jeans for the summer. I had to resort to borrowing braces from the Spouse to keep the bloody things up! And yes, I did look like a reject from Bananarama grin

Merinda Thu 11-Aug-11 15:48:17

interesting, it is completely different with me (may be I am a funny shape) - over the bump styles are cut so low in the crotch, that there is nothing to hold on, and the stretchy material just isn't tight enough to keep them up.
Under the bump, but with a demi-panel elastic seems to work - sits snug around the hips and does not really slide down... I suppose everyone needs to find their own solution...

stripeywoollenhat Thu 11-Aug-11 15:55:14

i'm having precisely that problem, merinda. i was starting to wonder if my bump was peculiarly small or something, despite appearing to me (and everybody else) to be housing a small elephant and a number of chocolate cakes....

thanks for replies. will investigate under-bump versions.

Merinda Thu 11-Aug-11 16:15:24

Gap styles seem to work best for me, may be you can try there...

ALotToTakeIn Thu 11-Aug-11 16:46:46

was going to say my gap skinny jeans only fall down when i do a lot of squatting down and back up again, and they are super comfey

whizzyrocket Thu 11-Aug-11 16:56:06

I'm also finding I have that problem. I'm normally a size 12 and now have a healthy-sized bump.

The one pair of over the bump jeans were good a few months ago but now pinch so tightly across the stomach that I end up feeling I want to bring my lunch up- definitely no leaning over when wearing those! Another pair has a piece of elastic over the bump that is too loose so they fall down all the time.

I also have some under the bump ones, mostly from Next. The ones with the stretchy panels at the sides are good but they are loose and baggy (like the really baggy jeans I wore as a grungy teen) and smart in no way... I wear those with a belt. I have one nice black Next pair (inherited from my sister) that are under the bump, mostly stay up, and have an elastic band all the way around the top. They're comfortable and smart enough to appear in public in! The shorts I bought (also Next) are really good too.

I think we're all either wearing our builder's cleavage with pride, or wearing tunics to make sure only we are aware of the problem though!!

CuttlefishDramas Thu 11-Aug-11 18:50:58

I've got my eyes on these Belly ups

No idea if they work/are comfortable though!

cantthinkof1 Thu 11-Aug-11 20:57:24

I got a pair of trousers in H&M that have a tie under the bump so stay up and a good sized over the bump panel. Their sizes don't mean anything you have to try them on.

Anything else make me look like a teenage boy showing my pants off with crotch at knees!!!

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 11-Aug-11 21:25:12

I've found a tight bump band the answer.

Someone else on MN once suggested braces and loads of people said it was what worked for them.

Oeisha Thu 11-Aug-11 21:33:08

Bump bands...go for them
New Look bump bands. I'm a 14 and am finding 16s very uncomfy, so am just wearing bump bands at work/with anything that isn't OTB:
New Look Bump Bands It's a shame they don't ever seem sot have the 3-pack in stock as I would love a grey one!
Go for the smaller ones if you're a 14...I'm 17wks and am still finding the small ones a too big round my waist, but they are gripping my hips well so an just folding them in half and having them just about my belly button height..
I also quite like the Next OTB jeans. I do have an on/UTB from Next too, but they're still loose on me and am currently usng the bump bands with them.

Tigerinmysoup Thu 11-Aug-11 23:03:21

Get yourself a pregnancy belt from here - it works perfectly for me. No more yanking my jeans up all the time! It has stretchy panels so that it doesn't dig in when you're sitting down.

idlevice Fri 12-Aug-11 06:05:47

I think this is the reason why dungarees & pinafores were a popular maternity option in the 70s! All we need is a gorgeous pregnant sleb to be seen in them & they will be all the rage again [unrealistically hopeful]

Guildenstern Fri 12-Aug-11 06:08:16

By nine months I was using braces, worn under my t-shirt. And they worked perfectly. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now