Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta moved from high to low?

(6 Posts)
Mmmmcheese Thu 11-Aug-11 10:43:58

I have had scans every 2 weeks from 8 weeks and until now every scan has shown my placenta as high anterior. I just had my 20 week scan and the sonographer said that the placenta was low and might cause problems if it didn't move.

I questioned this as all my notes clearly say high anterior placenta but she showed me on the screen and i could see the placenta practically touching (but not covering) the cervix.

I'm not worried about it being low as I know that it is highly likely to move (and I'm not averse to a C-section anyway after traumatic V-birth last time) but I didn't think it was possible for a placenta to move from high to low? Does this mean that it will continue getting lower?

Catslikehats Thu 11-Aug-11 10:50:02

It shouldn't be possible for a placenta to move from high to low because the placenta doesn't actually move at all, the position simply changes in relation to the cervix due to expansion of the uterus.

It was explained to me similar to when you draw an x on a deflated balloon it's position will appear different from when the balloon is inflated.

Having said that with my first pregnancy I was told I had a low lying placenta - lots of scans very precise measurements taken fractions of mm etc I was shown the "placenta" all seemed clear and when I went for my final scan consultant said no sign of low lying placenta and previous scans must have been incorrect as it was otherwise impossible for placenta to have "moved" so much. Goodness knows what they were measuring but did make me view scans with a hmm therafter.

It sounds like someone who has made an error.

Mmmmcheese Thu 11-Aug-11 11:06:59

That's what i thought but strange that I've had at least 3 different people scan me over the past few months and all have said high placenta, but now I have seen with my own eyes that it is low!

Catslikehats Thu 11-Aug-11 13:37:30

That is exactly the reverse of what happened to me - three different people all said low and it was wrong. Weird and a bit worrying.

At 20 wks whatever the true poition there is plently of time for things to change so try not to worry.

lolajane2009 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:12:26

i wouldnt worry. At 20 weeks mine was low, 32 still low and partially covering then at 34 weeks, a week ago, it had moved. Only time can tell tbh.

Mum2be79 Fri 12-Aug-11 18:34:05

I wonder if anyone has had a c section following a low lying placenta?

1. How many days/weeks after discovering it did a c section happen?
2. Was the c section 'riskier' than the 'normal' csection?
3. Is there more bleeding to be expected?
4. Or what was it like to give birth with a low lying placenta?

My 12-week scan showed it was low and today had my 20-week scan and it was touching but not covering my cervix. I have another scan at 36 weeks, but was told highly likely it will move up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now