Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Only 8.5 weeks and have put on 3lb...

(12 Posts)
LoveInAColdClimate Thu 11-Aug-11 08:35:58

...should I be worried? Am I right in thinking you're only meant to gain 4lb in the whole first trimester? Can't help suspecting I may gain more than a pound in the next 3 and a bit weeks based on progress to date. Am usually very slim, if that makes any difference? Is this normal or should I be discussing with midwife? Thanks!

kri5ty Thu 11-Aug-11 09:13:56

I wouldn't listen to " what you are supposed to put on", i put a stone by week 12! I don't know if it has anything to do with your pre pregnancy weight... i was just over 8 and a half stone, i am now not far off 10, and i am 22 weeks x

I put on most my weight in the early stages. Don't worry! With one pregnancy I put on 3 st, another pregnancy I put on zero so lost weight when DS2 was born (not on purpose)

kri5ty Thu 11-Aug-11 09:18:31

i also ment to say... all i could eat (and still do) is junk food/stratchy food... i mentioned it to my mw, who said a lot of people with my BMI crave junk/fatty foods, she thinks its the bodys way of putting weight on to cope with pregnancy x

IssyStark Thu 11-Aug-11 10:05:30

With my first I put on 3lbs almost immediately but ony put on 18lbs in total (I was overweight to begin with). It is fairly normal to put on 3-5lbs in the first trimester. Given you are slim you may well put on slightly more than that as you probably don't ahve much in the way of fat reserves to help with breastfeeding (which takes huge amounts of calories). the slimmer you are the more they expect you to put on, the suggestion is 25-35lbs for women of normal weight.

The increase at the start is partly water retention (you may feel bloated which is perfectly normal), extra blood (your blood volume increases by a pint), and extra tissue in your breasts (even if you haven't noticed it yet).

This time I started at 8st11lbs and have steadily put on and now at 22w I am 10st. However with my first I started at 10 stone so I think the body has an idea of what it needs to be at to help sustain a pregnancy.

As long as you are eating healthily and not just surviving on a diet of chocolate and coke, you'll be fine!

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 11-Aug-11 10:52:42

Thanks, everyone. I felt quite upset on the scales this morning but this has been very reassuring. Have put on weight round my tummy (probably water retention?) and boobs are loads bigger so suppose it's going to show up on the scales... Thank you all.

kri5ty Thu 11-Aug-11 11:00:51

if it makes you feel a little better hun, even though i am nearly 10 stone now, i am still slim.. i have put a little weight on my face, thighs and back (but not loads, and i am still slimmer than most of my friends in these areas), i think all the weight is in my bump and boobs smile

Your body will put on the weight it needs to.. don't worry too much as if you diet etc, your body will store more of the food you do actually eat as fat for energy stores smile

Flisspaps Thu 11-Aug-11 11:02:37

Stay off the scales smile You'll worry yourself unnecessarily, and your body will put on the weight that it needs to, when it needs to, to enable you and your baby to grow and develop safely and appropriately.

Your weight won't be checked at any ante-natal appointments other than the booking in appointment (and that's only if you agree to get on the scales there, I'm not actually sure why they bother as part of their 'routine' procedure)

mistlethrush Thu 11-Aug-11 11:04:56

I put on a stone in the first 10 wks blush mainly because the only way to keep the all day morning sickness at bay was to eat something every 10 mins....

crazyhead Thu 11-Aug-11 12:57:42

agree with everyone else - if you weighed 8 and a half stone to start, you are clearly a very slim woman, and your body might be telling to get just a little curvier for pregnancy - in any case it could all be fluid. My sister lost two stone the day she gave birth cos of all the fluid retention!

Also (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) I reckon worrying about weight gain is what you do when the pregnancy is going well (I worried too to start but I've had a few scarier things now and it just makes you completely forget about your weight) so I'd congratulate yourself it is going well so far....

firsttimer84 Thu 11-Aug-11 13:00:00

Throw your scales away!!! Everything's normal! You're pregnant I'm afraid you will put weight on.

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 11-Aug-11 13:11:51

Thanks, everyone - I will step away from the scales and stop worrying grin. It's kri5ty who started out at 8 and a half stone, I started out at 8 stone 10lb. You might be right re actually needing to pad out a bit - my BMI was below the ideal for conception and I was actually trying to put on some weight when I found out I was pregnant. Thank you for all the reassurance that all is normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now