Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

22 weeks pregnant vertigo??

(8 Posts)
kri5ty Thu 11-Aug-11 07:33:40

Hi

I am 22 weeks, and i am having really bad problems with (what i think is) vertigo.

I have suffered with dizziness/fainting/blackouts for the past 10 years due to blood pressure, but the dizziness i am experiencing now is totally different.
Its not hypotension, but feels more to do with my balance. If i turn my head tot he side i get very dizzy and it takes me a few seconds to re focus, and when i stand up/move around i am very unsteady and walk in to things!

I mentioned it to the MW at my 20 week scan, who just said if it carried on go to the GP

Any ideas?

chorltonandthewheelies Thu 11-Aug-11 09:58:30

Hi Kri5ty I had this 2 weeks ago at 33 weeks and its awful. Its my 4th pregnancy so I was sure it wasnt a preg symptom but went to the midwife to get checked out as I felt so terrible. She asked me if I'd had heavy cold or virus recently which I had but it had been a couple of weeks before, she then said she was sure it was a middle ear infection. I went to GP who confirmed this was what it was and that it would just pass, sadly no medication could help, luckily mine only lasted a few more days. If your struggling or worried go to GP.

H007 Thu 11-Aug-11 10:24:51

Hi,

In March this year I had a virus called labrynitis it was horrendous, it's a inner ear infection and it masked the fact I was pregnant. I had it for 4 weeks. Sounds similar symptoms, go to the docs.

kri5ty Thu 11-Aug-11 10:34:43

i have just tried ringing... no appointments, typical!

I have't had a painful ear infection, but i guess it can still be infected witout pain!! And it makes sense it being my ears as it is effecting my balance

Thanks girls

Eviepoo Thu 11-Aug-11 11:18:02

Yes I second gong to the docs - keep phoning til you get an appointment. I had similar when DD was only a few weeks old.
I had to stay with mum, lie on the couch and get mum to lie her next to me so I could BF - I was so scared of picking her up I was so dizzy. Antibiotics sorted it though. (and no I had no ear pain).

Macaroona Thu 11-Aug-11 11:20:43

Are you taking iron supplements? You have about 30% more blood in your body at the moment, and if you normally suffer anaemic symptoms it can be expected to get worse in pregnancy. Are you drinking enough water and getting enough protein?

H007 Thu 11-Aug-11 11:26:27

Yeah I had no ear pain whatsoever... Plus the medication I was on was safe during pregnancy.

kri5ty Thu 11-Aug-11 11:56:49

I am not anaemic, my dizziness i usually have is due to a problem with my brain, but it is a total different sensation, i did get my mw to check iron levels though, just in case, and everything was fine.

I am drinking lots of water, but i will try and increase my protein smile

ooo H007 that's good to know it is safe during pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now