Talk

Advanced search

how to sleep

(3 Posts)
notlettingthefearshow Wed 10-Aug-11 23:19:05

I am 20 weeks pregnant and normally sleep on my stomach. As I don't have a bump yet, this is still comfortable for me, but I've heard you should sleep on your side. I keep trying this but wake up on my front or back and worry I am squishing the baby!

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a rule of when you need to start sleeping on your side?

needsanswers Wed 10-Aug-11 23:57:31

hi
i dont really think there is a rule persay im pretty sure its from 29weeks u r not aloud to sleep on your back, as far as sleeping on your tummy goes my midwife told me you can continue doing that for as long as its still comfortable, they say its better to sleep on you left side, im sure if you type it into google you will find plenty of articles about it smile

ZhenXiang Thu 11-Aug-11 00:16:35

Hi it is not advisable to sleep on your back during the third trimester as the weight of your uterus presses on a major vein that returns blood from your legs to your heart. This can cause dizziness, fainting and poor circulation.

They say it is better to sleep on your left hand side as this encourages the baby to get into the optimum position for birth.

If you are comfortable on your front still it shouldn't be a problem for the baby, they are well cushioned. Later on when they have less space it will be too uncomfortable and they will complain by kicking you too let you know they are squashed!

You can use cushions to prop you in the correct position i.e. one behind your back, one between your legs and when bigger one under your belly for support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now