Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuts, oooooohhh hazlenuts.....

(9 Posts)
Biscuitsandtea Wed 10-Aug-11 18:49:57

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me a bit of help on something. Am currently about 7 weeks pg with no 2. I just wondered what the current guidelines were with regards to eating nuts during pregnancy? When I was pg with DS (about 3 years ago) the guidelines were 'erm, we're not sure if it might either lead to a nut allergy or alternatively it might prevent a nut allergy so...erm.... don't eat nuts'

(I may have paraphrased that a bit... blush)

Just wondered if things had moved on at all since then?

I have my m/w appointment next week so can ask her then I suppose but just wondered in the meantime what people were being told now.

Thank you smile

MrsRhettButler Wed 10-Aug-11 18:51:13

I think as long as you have no family history of nut allergies then you are fine to eat them smile

CBear6 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:56:18

What MrsRhett said. Research was inconclusive so now it's just a case of avoiding them if there's a history of allergies. I've been troughing pistachio nuts so I made sure to check it because I denied myself them last time smile

Biscuitsandtea Wed 10-Aug-11 18:57:47

Do you think a family history of asthma (my dad) and hay fever (lots of us) might be a problem as aren't they all supposedly realted (nut allergies, eczema, hay fever, asthma etc)? I appreciate I am getting into the 'ask an actual medical professional' realm now with this question!

Biscuitsandtea Wed 10-Aug-11 18:58:18

related, not realted.....

CBear6 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:05:07

I think the advice was just about peanuts and that other nuts are fine, I may be wrong though

MsChanandlerBong Wed 10-Aug-11 19:08:09

From the NHS website (which doesn't seem to include any advice for nuts other than peanuts):

Peanuts
If you would like to eat peanuts or food containing peanuts (such as peanut butter) during pregnancy, you can choose to do so as part of a healthy balanced diet, unless you are allergic to them or your health professional advises you not to.

You may have heard that some women have, in the past, chosen not to eat peanuts when they were pregnant. This is because the government previously advised women that they may wish to avoid eating peanuts if there was a history of allergy (such as asthma, eczema, hayfever, food allergy or other types of allergy) in their child's immediate family.

This advice has now been changed because the latest research has shown that there is no clear evidence to say if eating or not eating peanuts during pregnancy affects the chances of your baby developing a peanut allergy.

So that reads to me as if all nuts, peanuts included, are OK.

MsChanandlerBong Wed 10-Aug-11 19:09:38

I have also been pretty paranoid about what I will and won't eat during pregnancy, but have been eating nuts. So if someone suddenly finds information that says I shouldn't have been eating nuts can someone warn me so I can stick my fingers in my ears and close my eyes. Thanks!
wink

Biscuitsandtea Wed 10-Aug-11 19:13:47

Ah thank you all - that seems to answer my question very nicely. I think that middle paragraph that you found MsChanandlerBong is probably what I was told last time I was pregnant.

In that case bring on the snickers grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now