Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

(11 Posts)
MSCONFUSED Wed 10-Aug-11 10:39:51

I've had messed up periods since coming off the pill in April. Had a period 17th April then 2nd June- since then nothing. We were careful except for 23rd July and it looks as though I may well be pregnant (very faint line- due to retest tomorrow) How can my due date be calculated from the date of sex as opposed to menstrual cycle?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 10-Aug-11 10:40:50

I believe you count as if your period started two weeks before the sex.

TheMitfordsMaid Wed 10-Aug-11 10:40:57

It will be dated using a dating scan at around 12 week, surely?

Cattleprod Wed 10-Aug-11 10:42:08

38 weeks from date of sex, more or less. May be a few days out but will give you a rough idea.

flaminglip Wed 10-Aug-11 10:44:04

i would agree with TMM - Due date will be calculated from measurements done at 12 weeks. Faint line is still a line, so they say!, maybe congrats are in order?!

MSCONFUSED Wed 10-Aug-11 10:50:54

Thanks for the answers. Could well be a congratulations albeit a few months earlier than we had originally planned. I know it would be calculated from a first scan but would like to have an idea myself- it's all very confusing with conception taking anything up to a week and implantation anything up to another 14 days then on top of that every pregnancy calculator seems to be from date of last period and there are a million debates on what constitutes as a line vs an evaporation line and whether it's a pink or blue test changes things too, it's mental! I'd just like to have an idea lol.

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 11:00:29

For me mine was estimated at booking appointment from the 1st day of last period.

I did the same estimate with my 2nd.

And 3rd even though with this one I know when it happened well not when the egg was fertilised but when the willy entered! but still went from 1st day of last period and the dating scan at 12 weeks was a day earlier.

Probably doesn't make sense but if you just want an idea go from 1st day of last period and then wait for scan.

G1nger Wed 10-Aug-11 11:01:14

notquitecockey is right - it's calculated at around 14 days before the sex (the ovulation, really) took place. It'll be firmed up at the dating scan. Except that your GP will ask you before then what the date was of your last period and go from there until the dating scan.

MSCONFUSED Wed 10-Aug-11 11:04:54

Just calculated using methods of NotQuiteCockney and Cattleprod and it came up with same date- using NotQuiteCockney's method it calculated conception on the day we actually had sex too so I'm assuming due date could be anything from the date given up until a week later. Thanks a million- just have to retest now but at least I know how to calculate smile

Mum2be79 Wed 10-Aug-11 16:28:47

I calculated my pregnancy (as you do) from the date of LMP which for me was 1st April so it gave me a due date of 6th January. BUT at my booking in appointment, my midwife asked me my cycle length and as I had come off the pill on 17th September, my periods had come every 23, 24 or 27 days. However the last three consecutive periods had been every 24 days. Based on that she brought my date EARLIER to 2nd January because if you have a shorter cycle, you ovulate earlier - apparently. When I went for my scan, they were almost spot on and put me at 13 weeks and 4 days which meant my new EDD was 1st January - more in line with MW than mine based on LMP. Due dates go on this before a dating scan is performed because it is very hard to know when you ovulated - as it was for me. (But looking back, we did do the 'deed' the day before, of and after I supposedly ovulated!!!).

By all means, 'guess' but the dating scan is quite accurate (give or take a few days) so it may be best to wait for that OR your GP could send you for an earlier scan if you think you are further on.

MSCONFUSED Thu 11-Aug-11 17:19:55

Well ladies I did a test this morning on one that uses red dye and there was definitely a line within a few minutes- it was same thickness as the other but a lot lighter. The boyf couldn't read what it meant and said tests should just say yes or no so it's easy to understand them ha ha! Going to the Doctors tomorrow to get it confirmed and start getting as much advice and info as possible. I'm sure you'll all be hearing a lot more from me in future- once I get over the shock!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now