Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does a crib last longer than a moses basket?

(14 Posts)
nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 08:20:01

They say they last for 6 months in your experience is this correct?

I sold my moses basket and stand after having DS not realising I would fall pregnant again when he was 11 weeks old.

I am hoping to avoid buying another cot because DS can go in a toddler bed at 18 months ish, then I can pass cot onto new one. But moses baskets don't last long in my opinion and to be honest to buy basket and stand it works out quite expensive for the weeks it is used.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 10-Aug-11 08:24:11

I use 'crib' as an interchangeable word with cot, are you talking about something different again?

Last time around we bought a cot that converted into a toddler bed, and DD went straight into that. She could have stayed there until close to 4, I think, but we've upgraded her to a single bed so as to free the cot up.

If you don't have a cot that converts, I don't understand why you'd even buy a toddler bed, and not go straight to a single? Then you're having to buy moses AND cot AND toddler bed AND single bed, that's masses of money.

This time I'm buying a bassinet or a moses (don't know which, am floundering) because the cot's too big to fit nicely into our room, but there's no way on this earth I'm buying a new one! Secondhand is the way to go, for the reason you mention.

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 08:28:31

I am talking about a crib, cmaller than a cot but apparently bigger than a moses basket.

I only have a cot not a cotbed. My DD is 4 and will be moving into a single in about 6 months ish, so DS can have her toddler bed and the new baby can have the cot. So will only have to buy crib and single which I have to buy for DD anyway.

I couldn't have imagined putting DD into a standard single bed when she was 18 months seemed too high imo.

georgie22 Wed 10-Aug-11 08:34:29

We bought a swinging crib for dd when she grew out of her moses basket (she's a long girl!). We had been given our moses basket by a friend which was useful to use downstairs when she was tiny but we then needed a crib which was longer once she got to about 3 months. She was very ready to go into her cot bed in her nursery at 6 months as the crib was too narrow for her to move around.

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 08:35:48

www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_97583_10001
This is what I mean by a crib, not sure which style is best but this is a standard one I think.

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 08:36:58

geirgie22 did you manage to get 6 months out of the crib then, or did she get to uncomfortable/big for it before?

BiscuitNibbler Wed 10-Aug-11 08:38:13

Crib lasted us about 6 months and was a godsend. Where are you OP? I have a crib I could give you if you are nearby?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 10-Aug-11 08:40:03

Oh, ok, I think I call that a cradle. Although now I'm confused - I'm in the middle of this decision myself and sort of panicking. And if you already have a cot bed going spare that makes sense, sorry for the 20 questions! I'll be interested in the answers too then.

<shuts up>

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 08:40:19

I live near Preston BiscuitNibbler smile

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 08:43:24

Don't be sorry, I have spent hours trawling through sites to see which is better and lasts longer. I thought sleeping arrangements for 3 would be the easiest decision but it is turing out to be more complicated trying to think of the most cost effective way to purchase things confused

IssyStark Wed 10-Aug-11 09:53:48

We had a moses basket last time and a very small baby but even so it only lasted until about four months. This time we going for a bedside cot, somethimg like the Babybay Bedside Cot which should last considerably longer (some people are still using it at almost 8m). I know is expensive but I think my back will appreciate it in the middle of the night! Plus it's the only thing we're getting for this baby.

If they came up on eBay more often I'd get it from there but unfortunately they don't. However cribs and other bedside cots often come up on eBay so you could get one there, get a new matress and then you are sorted for hopefully little outlay.

kateyfer Wed 10-Aug-11 13:22:26

my DD grew out of her moses basket at 5 weeks old, and so she went into a crib in our bedroom for a few months. She would probably have fitted in it until she was 5 months, but we ended up moving her into her cot bed in her own bedroom at 3 months as I got fed up not being able to sleep because of all the gurgles, snorts and cries she made in her sleep!

luckily we were leant the moses basket and crib, as i think I would have been annoyed if I'd bought both brand new.

I'd suggest going to the NCT nearly new sales, earching on ebay for a crib and just buying a new mattress for it.

BiscuitNibbler Wed 10-Aug-11 15:47:58

Sorry for the delay, I went out!

Just checked Google maps and you're about 100 miles away. What a shame.

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 15:49:02

That's ok BuscuitNibbler thank you for the kind offer though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now