Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity exemption certificate

(16 Posts)
20wkbaby Tue 09-Aug-11 21:15:58

Despite my name I am actually 32 weeks pregnant (!) and was issued my MATB1 at my 28 wk mw appointment. I handed it in to my HR at work straight away.

I haven't yet received my maternity exemption card yet and I assumed with my first pregnancy that it was triggered by the MATB1. Can anyone tell me if this is true or when I can expect my exemption certificate?

Thanks

MersyMersy Tue 09-Aug-11 21:19:47

Hi, no i think your MATB is your certificate so that you can get your SMP/MA. I got a form from my GP and handed in it at my doctors surgery and then was sent a Maternity Exemption card in the post. Maybe try your GP surgery?

edwinbear Tue 09-Aug-11 21:19:58

It's a separate application process that you need to send off for. Ask your GP or midwife for the application form, they fill out part and you fill out the rest and send it off. I asked for mine when I saw the GP when I first found out and it took about 10 days to arrive I think.

Iggly Tue 09-Aug-11 21:20:43

Exemption is something else. MATb1 tells your employer you're pregnant.

20wkbaby Wed 10-Aug-11 07:35:52

OK thanks. Seemed to be an automatic thing last time. Maybe they gave it to me in the pack and I just didn't notice. Will check with my GP.

kri5ty Wed 10-Aug-11 09:54:19

You need to ask for it at yout GPs hun, they will give you a form (that they need to stamp), then you send this off and get your card in the post x

IssyStark Wed 10-Aug-11 09:55:45

I was very surprised that this time I got my form for the exemption cert at my booking in appt so have had it for most of the pregnancy (like 20wkbaby last time, admittedly 4.5 years ago, I got the exemption form to fill in at the same time as the Mat1B).

Sandra2011 Wed 10-Aug-11 09:57:35

My midwife filled the form during my first visit.

I got my card last week and I'm 11 wks pregnant now.

hayleysd Wed 10-Aug-11 09:59:35

Just ask your doctor if you have receipts for any prescriptions etc you have paid for while you've been pregnant you might be able to claim them back

melliebobs Wed 10-Aug-11 15:56:20

People have probably allready answered butfor your exemption you have to go to your GP surgery or your midwife and ask for the excemption form. I got mine from my GP surgery and got a bloomin grillin about why i wanted it! stupid receptionists. But whoever you get it off you will need your midwifes signature on it and your GP surgery to stamp it then you send it off

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 16:02:58

Sorry to G/C is there a a cut off for getting the exemption card?

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 16:09:20

the exemption card as in for free prescriptions?

you have to do that yourself, and you should get it from your midwife the first time you meet her.
there's no cut-off date, but it lasts until your baby's firt birthday.

the MATB form is something completely differenet.

(your form for exemption might have been with your pack, so look through that if you've not had it or sent it off)

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 10-Aug-11 16:12:18

My GP did mine at my first appt. I received it by 7 weeks. It must have been a slow day...

20wkbaby Wed 10-Aug-11 17:20:46

I think my GP must have done it for me the first time round as he sent off the form for my scan as well so that is probably why I was confusing it with the MATB1.

Thanks for all the responses. Luckily I haven't had to pay for any prescriptions, have just been to the dentist but he took my word for it that I was pregnant and just asked me to sign something.

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 17:37:48

I have forgotten all about mine this time am 33+5. The one I had for DS is in date so not sure if I can actually have 2 running at the same time anyway.

Oeisha Wed 10-Aug-11 21:21:31

I didn't have to fill anythign in for my exemption, so just assumed it came some time after my booking apt...got mine at about 10wks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now