Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can't stop eating!

(21 Posts)
theidsalright Tue 09-Aug-11 20:23:11

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and my appetite feels out of control.

I usually have a hearty smile appetite and I don't have weight problems or anything but this is ridiculous! I seem to be STARVING every couple of hours. I actually fantasised bunking off work (very very unlike me) to go home and eat before I picked DS up from nursery today. I'm eating healthily e.g. craving sugar eating an apple/yoghurt, but even all fibre/slow release energy foods doesn't seem to touch it.

Anyone else?

dreamc1 Wed 10-Aug-11 12:17:49

Yup, I'm around 5 or 6 weeks pregnant, and starving every hour or so. I have never had a huge appetite, but my goodness, I could eat for England!

I do try and go for pasta, apples, grapes, carrots etc.

kri5ty Wed 10-Aug-11 12:21:31

it doesn't go away... i'm 22 weeks and straving alllll the time!!

ALotToTakeIn Wed 10-Aug-11 13:10:26

29 weeks and having breakfast, elevensies, lunch, tea and dinner without fail!

lolajane2009 Wed 10-Aug-11 13:45:17

me too but I'm 34 + 5

Ellypoo Wed 10-Aug-11 14:01:10

I'm 17 + 3 and constantly eating - I swear I'll be the size of a house by the time the baby arrives!! Just so hungry constantly - am having about 5 meals a day + snacks! Trying to stick to healthy(ish!) stuff, however the chocolate & biscuits are often calling me!!!

NoobytheWaspSlayer Wed 10-Aug-11 15:11:01

22 weeks and me too. I'm just hungry all the time. ALL the time. I'm trying my best to eat healthy stuff <big fail>, but I am exercising, so at least I'll be nice and strong and toned under the blubber!

phlossie Wed 10-Aug-11 15:18:41

Just wait until you're breastfeeding - then you'll know real hunger! If you're 12 weeks you must be due in feb? Me too - I've been chatting on the feb ante-natal group thread - here - it's good to talk to people going through the same things as you!

My sickness has just stopped and my appetite started!

scepticalexpat Wed 10-Aug-11 15:20:14

Mine really comes and goes: at 22 weeks, for example, I had a 10-day constant hunger thing and ate ALL the time, including waking up in the middle of the night for toast. My theory is that your body really knows what it's up to and when you need more food.

SaulGood Wed 10-Aug-11 15:21:38

I'm 8 months pregnant. I'm visiting my inlaws today. They're lovely, kind, brilliant people. But I'm so hungry I may just eat them.

I've been hungry throughout. I've not put on a lot of weight tbh. Just have a comedy bump. I assume it's all going to the brand new life that's growing in there.

<slopes off to look in the fridge>

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 15:23:07

For me, it was eat constantly or starve to death for the first 16-ish weeks.
then it stopped.
then it started again this week (24) and i was absolutely ravenous this morning - and I had no food apart from an apple (had to chuck it cos it has a hole in it),and a punnet of blueberries that were too old, and about 10 of them were mouldy (the rest were dry)

then i think that was too much fruit, because i've spent the last few hours farting like a trouper.

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 15:24:30

(it might have stopped because i got into a habit of eating elevensies - just a yoghurt or crackers with cheese, but I haven't had any spare food this week)

SaffronCake Wed 10-Aug-11 15:31:02

Yes yes yes, me too, always, argh God I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear from others feeling the same, my midwife looked at me like I was nuts when I mentioned it. So I ignored her. If Milla Jovovich can I can (Google it), and anyway I always lose it again easily enough when the pregnancy stops because I'm no longer perpetually ravenous.

Also when pregnant the only foods I want are crap, frankly. I want McDonalds and tiramisu and cream in my coffee 23 times a day. I swear it's biological because for the rest of the time I honestly do genuinely prefer a salad over chips. Not when pregnant though, everything goes wrong then.

I'm 29 weeks into my 5th pregnancy now. I don't dare step on a scale because it's just too hard to face the fact that I will by now be somewhere on the rod heading for one and a half times my usual weight post-birth. I'll weigh myself when I get home from hospital and survey the damage then (as ever).

Milla Jovovich ladies, there's the role model. We shallt be thin again soon!

phlossie Wed 10-Aug-11 16:21:07

Yeah, but what sort of crazy post-baby diet did Mila Jovovich do? She is gorgeous, though.

I hang on to my weight post-baby until I stop breastfeeding. I'm going to be a bridesmaid when this baby's 5 months old, so I'm trying not to pork out too much this time! I reckon exercise is the key. This is my 3rd.

theidsalright Wed 10-Aug-11 18:48:46

oh thanks for getting back!

a bit better today but still fairly ridiculous. I came out of hospital last time wearing my normal jeans and was below pre-pregnancy weight within 4 months (BF and being a bit mental did it) but I fear I'm going to be as big as a bus this time.

Don't even mention Mila Jovovich-IMO she was massive with a HUGE pregnant face (my main fear, I am clearly vain as you like)....and now she is a gazelle again envy

NorthernChinchilla Wed 10-Aug-11 21:03:52

From having the family nickname of 'sparrow' for the way I ate, I now have the family nickname of 'chomp'...
When you're not used to it, the constant hunger is actually quite disturbing, as it's overwhelming. And it's not just the hunger, but the actual feeling of illness/weakness/madness (frankly) if you don't eat.

Having burst into tears outside the only shop on the way between work and the train station, because it was closed and I couldn't get FOOOOOOD, I vowed not to let it happen again. My main trick is to make sure I never go more than a couple of hours without eating, to keep blood sugar levels up, so an extra piece of fruit, some nuts, etc.
I also assume, and you sound the same, that if my body's telling me to eat then I need to do so!

And then at the weekend make sure there's an opportunity for at least one full-on, high grade pig out for true satisfaction...
<mentally wanders off planning this weekend's session>

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 10-Aug-11 21:08:43

Another perma-hungry one here. I have to eat every few hours or I feel awful. Thankfully have moved off last week's obsession with crisps and this week am gorging on toast and nectarines but just eat all the time.

notlettingthefearshow Wed 10-Aug-11 23:02:59

20 weeks gone. Pretty much every 2 hours I am famished. Got very angry tonight when dinner at friend's wasn't until 7.45 and NO NIBBLES provided. Not put on any weight yet so am assuming I'm right to keep scoffing. Then again I always was a greedy munter.

KateBC Wed 10-Aug-11 23:18:31

Another one constantly ravenous, but am staying with my parents at the moment whilst work is done on our house, and my mum loves nothing more than to feed me! getting fed every couple of hours, it's great, but still having to top up with snacks in-between... Have massive porridge cravings though, so it's mainly that, but DM has just got an ice cream maker, and her tiramisu ice cream is too amazing to ignore!

I dread to think what I'll be like when I'm breastfeeding, was a gannet last time, didn't lose a single pound til I stopped

tiredchocoholic Thu 11-Aug-11 02:33:00

I'm 26 weeks with DC 3 and cannot stop eating....no surprise to anyone who knows me, I've always loved my food anyway! With all 3 pregnancies I have had almost constant nausea and the only way to stop feeling sick is to eat. Unfortunately carbs and chocolate are the only thing that cut it at times so whilst I'm eating loads of healthy stuff, too, it's fair to say I am consuming more than I probably should. Gained 4 stones with each of my first two pregnancies and reckon it will be the same again....have already gone past the 2 stones mark. Bugger!

AprilAl Thu 11-Aug-11 06:51:34

I'm only six weeks, with my first and can't believe how ravenous I've been, right from week three (it was that which gave it away). Before I was pregnant I would often forget to eat if I was busy and would rarely eat less than three hours after waking up. Now I wake up ridiculously early each morning, thinking about food before I'm even fully concious (woke up at 4 today and am currently munching my way through my third snack of the day). I've taken to carrying around little bags of dried fruit and nuts in my handbag after a few panicky moments when out and about - I'm totally with you on the illness/weakness/madness NorthernChinchilla!

Wherever possible I'm eating healthy, low fat foods and smallish portions as it doesn't seem to matter how much I eat, I'll still be hungry again in an hour. I was sure I'd be the size of a house by now if I carried on at this rate, but so far I've only put on 1lb - clearly I need it.

DH is finding the whole thing rather amusing wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now