Talk

Advanced search

Post natal pain relief???

(22 Posts)
VeronaH Tue 09-Aug-11 19:13:18

Just wondering what kind of pain relief was offered after baby was born, and how good are they at giving it out?? i am booked into watford so any experiences there or anywhere else would be much appreciated.
thanks

nunnie Tue 09-Aug-11 19:31:11

I was given some pain relief (not sure what but there was a bag so there was more than one item) after my 1st as I had to have a MROP.

With my 2nd I left with alot of pain relief etc because he was born via EMCS.

Not sure if pain relief is provided in a problem free birth as I have no experience of that sorry.

Flisspaps Tue 09-Aug-11 19:37:04

I was offered paracetamol, and that was for a 3rd degree tear and soreness following manual placenta removal.

I don't know if they offer anything in an uncomplicated birth, but I have seen paracetamol put on various threads about what to put in your hospital bag so I assume not!

nunnie Tue 09-Aug-11 19:42:29

Should have said they weren't brilliant at pain relief timings when I was in hospital as they tended to stick to their ward round times which didn't always fit with the timings I needed, but all I had to do was ask and as long as I was prescibed it and due some they got it for me.

VeronaH Tue 09-Aug-11 20:28:14

i had my first baby in another country and i got great pain relief, was given some supository after birth and also solpodol if i needed it. paracetamol, might has well give me smartiessmile I had assisted delivery on first but i am hoping this time i will also be given good pain relief for after. will bring boxes of solpodine with me just in case. thanks for the feedback ladies

Nunnie, what is an MROP?

apple99 Tue 09-Aug-11 20:53:16

I was offered a Voltarol shot in my lady bit's after I had been stitched up to reduce swelling (I had had an episiotomy and ventouse delivery). And then offered paracetamol regularly during my 3 night stay.

zdcgbjm Tue 09-Aug-11 21:04:43

After my recent experience I would smuggle some in. I got paracetamol with 6 hour gaps and it wasn't enough. No reason why I couldn't have ibuprofen too but it wasn't prescribed so I couldn't have it.

VeronaH Tue 09-Aug-11 21:14:49

wow this is shocking to me tbh, i will be bringing my own drugs with me, i am booked into a private room after delivery so dont know if that makes a difference over here but i am not under a consultant.

Apple99 i had similar delivery to you episiotomy and ventose but only needed 2 stitches so not too bad i think the subpository they gave me was difiene and it was great and if i needed any further pain relief i just had to ask. Paracetamol thats just a joke i think!!

banana87 Tue 09-Aug-11 21:31:31

I was given Dicofenlac and Co-codamol, both of which you can buy over the counter.

hubbahubster Wed 10-Aug-11 07:50:38

I had an ELCS and got loads of proper Gucci drugs - voltarol suppository while the epidural was in, liquid morphine in recovery and once I was on the ward, then strong ibuprofen and paracetemol while I was there. I was told not to wait until the pain kicked in to ask for pain relief, just to call a nurse right away. And they came round with meds every four hours anyway. Amazing!

Flisspaps Wed 10-Aug-11 07:52:48

Verona MROP is Manual Removal of Placenta - same as I had.

VeronaH Wed 10-Aug-11 10:34:09

thanks for the feedback ladies. still shocked they only offered some of you paracetamol for postnatal pain relief. will bring some solpodhine with me to hospital and nurofen i think smile anyone any experience with the knutsford suite in watford would love to hear from you, how the care was etc. thanks

Poweredbypepsi Wed 10-Aug-11 15:34:29

I had a normal birth with no probles or stitches but since it was dc4 had pretty bad afterpains. They gave me paracetamol but i had to keep track of times and just ring the bell every four hours. They didnt seem to mind and told me I wasnt allowed to bring my own medicines in.Paracetamol worked fine for the pains i had but as i said i had no stitches etc to cope with.

SaulGood Wed 10-Aug-11 15:40:55

They gave me voltarol and co-codamol post emcs. I didn't take any of it though as I didn't need it. You might be surprised.

G1nger Wed 10-Aug-11 15:46:27

Presumably medication makes it into breast milk...? Does anyone know anything about this, please?

SaulGood Wed 10-Aug-11 15:49:20

The pain relief that they prescribe post birth is utterly safe to take when bfing. It will enter bm in negligible amounts of course but being painfree is quite important when establishing a bfing relationship alongside managing the early days.

Did you want info about particular drugs. The bfn and lactmed are very good with amounts/facts/figures etc if you are interested.

Mimmee Wed 10-Aug-11 15:50:16

I had normal delivery but did have a tear and stitches but as others have said paracetomol was all that was offered - brought my own but I did get told off by midwives for that! Paracetomol and ibuprofen are ok to take while BF - you can take codeine aswell but for max seven days.

IssyStark Wed 10-Aug-11 15:54:41

You can have paracetamol when breastfeeding, also ibuprofen. Paracetamol is the NHS's pain relief drug of choice when pregnant or breastfeeding.

Most drugs do make it into your breastmilk so you don't want to be dosed up to the eyeballs. Vitrol and co-codomol should only be taken under medical advice when breastfeeding although in normal dosage the drugs in the breastmilk shouldn't affect your baby.

VeronaH Wed 10-Aug-11 16:26:16

As i said i gave birth to DS1 in a privaye hospital in Dublin and they were great for pain relief didnt even have to ask for the Difene suppositories, the nurse came into the room in the middle of the night and sorted me out so no pain from stitiches etc it was great (some women call them magic bulletssmile, they ease any perinal pain which is great. i was hoping for the same this time round but worried now about this whole paracetmol issue, maybe i wil be surprised and not need anything but i would like to know its available to me. oh and when i left the hospital i was given perscription for difene tabs and solpdol whiich is stronger perscription form of solpodhine.

well will find out soon enough i suppose!! thanks again for feedback

FannyAdamsToo Wed 10-Aug-11 16:35:45

I had an episiotomy with DS and was fine taking paracetamol and ibuprofen at regular intervals - paracetamol every six hours and ibuprofen every 8 means that you won't overdose and if you get the pattern right you'll be topping up when it starts wearing out. Bring your own as most wards will mean that you're waiting for a midwife when you reall need them.

edwinbear Wed 10-Aug-11 21:37:26

I was given paracetamol after a difficult and damaging forceps delivery which took an hour to stitch. I don't remember being offered anything else, but they were most insistent on me taking paracetamol. I was in hospital for 5 days and really didn't feel I needed it after the first night but they weren't happy abut me refusing it at all! When it came to discharging me, they got very upset when I said I didn't need the prescription for paracetamol they wanted to give me before I left, and we ended up having such a row about it I ended up taking it just to get out of there faster. It was all quite comical really!

G1nger Wed 10-Aug-11 21:52:07

I'm also of the opinion that paracetamol is hardly better than taking smarties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now