Talk

Advanced search

7 weeks pg and so ill its unbelievable is this normal?

(19 Posts)
buterflies Tue 09-Aug-11 13:25:33

Hi I am seven weeks pg with second child and feel so sick constantly (not actually being sick) barely eating some days, got a touch of the runs and need to sleep constantly.

I havent moved off the settee all day. I have been feeling progressivly worse over last week and a half. Luckily am on hol from work cos right now there is no way I would cope with even half an hour.

I was fine during my first pregnancy, is this normal and should I go to docs? Can they do anything?

CBear6 Tue 09-Aug-11 13:34:37

I was the same at the start of this pregnancy. The nausea seemed to come on sooner and was stronger, I also had the runs instead of the usual pregnancy constipation, and I was knackered - the joy of hormones!

Sadly it's all pretty normal, I went to my GP and was told that all they can suggest is waiting it out. I found that drinking plenty helped , I kept a drinks bottle with me and sipped pretty much constantly, sips seemed to be better for my tummy than mouthfuls, and that lemonade was better than water because the carbonation eased my tummy a bit. I know eating seems a chore and like the last thing you want to do but it helps. Being hungry made me so much worse. Give into cravings if you have any, nine times out of ten I found that whatever I was craving was the only food I could stomach - I think I lived on goldfish crackers, bourbon biscuits, and pineapple for three months.

Hopefully it'll pass soon.

buterflies Tue 09-Aug-11 13:37:19

I just dunno how I am gonna face work, am I being pathetic? I just want to sleep but cant cos I feel so bloody sick. I always poo poo'd morning sickness before as with my DS I had it for around 2 days. Didnt know it could be so bad.

CBear6 Tue 09-Aug-11 13:48:04

Speak to your manager or HR, they should be able to work something out. I was offered flexible starting times so that I wasn't commuting when the sickness was at it's worst and they made allowances so that I could eat at my desk and go for lunch when I wanted/needed rather than at the standard time. If it gets too much then see your GP about getting signed off for a week or two while the worst of it passes. I also found that a swig of Gaviscon on a morning helped towards settling my stomach and the GP can give this on prescription.

happymschicken Tue 09-Aug-11 13:49:55

I can sympathise. I was on here a few weeks ago moaning that I didn't have any MS but it's hit with a vengeance.
I'm 7 weeks with my second DC and I feel horrendous. I can't even get out of the house let alone to work and I'm probably going to have to get signed off for work at this rate. I've not been sick yet but I can't eat anything and I have a constant headache and I'm shattered.
It is definitely worse the second time around for me and I really don't know how I'm going to get through the next few weeks.

Sandra2011 Tue 09-Aug-11 14:01:50

My 24/7 sickness started at 6 weeks. I'm now 11 weeks pregnant and same thing continues. Have been vomiting few times but not on daily basis.

Been inside the house most of July and August sad

I had the same during my first pregnancy and had to take sick leave for 5 weeks.
Luckily I'm not working at the moment.... although I do have a 2 year old who is more than work sometimes.

CBear6 Tue 09-Aug-11 14:42:02

Oh yeah, MS with a toddler. DS's favourite game was to close the toilet lid on my head.

lolajane2009 Tue 09-Aug-11 14:46:51

I have to admit I felt like a creature from the swamp on and off till I was about 20 weeks. At least now at 34 + 4 I am only exhausted.

carpetlover Tue 09-Aug-11 15:14:28

Could you have hyperemesis? Less likely if you didn't have it first time but still possible. It's a severe form of MS so you are basically unable to function. No eating or drinking often results in frequent periods in hospital etc. Are you able to get up? Are you able to walk? Can you see properly? Can you get dressed etc? If you can't do any of these things it could be HG but if you are able to function but just very sick then it's probably 'just' bad MS. If you do have HG there's a support thread on pregnancy for other sufferers. Hope you feel better soon.

harassedandherbug Tue 09-Aug-11 15:28:56

That's how I've been, although that's better than when preg with dd as I was throwing up at least once a day!

I'm 20+5 and it's 98% gone now, although still have the odd sicky day.

I found eating small and often helped, generally I was forcing the food down just so I'd eaten something and didn't have an empty stomach which made me feel worse.

OptomisticBiscuit Tue 09-Aug-11 15:29:26

You have my full sympathies, it's such a shock how quickly it can knock you back, and how debilitating it can be. I started feeling awful at 6 weeks, and by 8 weeks was unable to go to work any more. Getting signed off was the best thing - any other time in your life if you were feeling that ill or vomiting 5 times a day no one would expect you to go into work, but as you are pregnant you feel like you have to soldier on no matter what. I ended up having 8 weeks off, but did not really start to feel human again untill 18 weeks. Up till then was just getting through the day any way I could. If you are not up to it get signed off and don't feel bad about it, just look after yourself.

carpetlover Tue 09-Aug-11 15:48:11

With hyperemesis you would typically throw up about 12times a day-often through the night too. Eating little and often is no good if you literally vomit at the sight of food and have difficulty even passing water through your lips.

Hopefully if its just normal but bed MS then it should ease by about week 14 or 15 rather than week 40.

carpetlover Tue 09-Aug-11 15:51:58

Sorry, that sounds like competition sickness! grin

Im not at all trying to say oh I had it worse than you. I was trying to say that if it's 'just' normal but nasty MS then at least it will ease rather than stay with you the entire pregnancy. It's no consolation but at least it helps to count down the days.

As it's your second pregnancy then maybe this one is the opposite sex as Ive known quite a few women who weren't too bad with their sons but had quite nasty sickness with their daughters.

Hope it eases for you soon.

harassedandherbug Tue 09-Aug-11 16:27:24

grin at competition sickness!!

I'm on dc4..... ds1 & ds2 no ms at all, dd 24/7 nausea and sick at least twice a day. This one threw me! 24/7 nausea and occasional sickness. I thought it was going to be another girl, but no it's a boy. First time I've been wrong!

zebedeethezebra Tue 09-Aug-11 16:33:56

I honestly think you would feel better if you tried to eat something. I know you don't feel like it but MS is worse if your blood sugar is low. That's what the doctor told me when I had nausea with DS. I ate and felt better for a couple of hours. Then would start to feel sick again, so had to eat again. I was basically eating every 2 hours for the first and third trimesters. I'm PG again now (6+6) and having to do the same thing.

So carbs are best, plain biscuits, cereal, toast, something like that.

zebedeethezebra Tue 09-Aug-11 16:34:13

Hope you feel better soon.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Tue 09-Aug-11 16:37:22

I have morning sickness like you describe and am surviving on fizzy water and carrot sticks. Yum hmm I can't tolerate anything cooked, a baked potato was a big mistake.

dannid Tue 09-Aug-11 18:01:23

U poor thing, i can totally sympathise with u!!! I was like this at the beginning of this pregnancy. Not actually being sick but felt sick 24/7 to the point that it was waking me up at night and making me utterly miserable. I didn't have any with DS but felt so awful this time round. After about 10 wks I couldn't take it anymore as was struggling to look after DS so I went to the doctors...burst into tears as soon as I walked into her office and explained how poorly I felt. She was absolutely brilliant...didn't think they would actually do anything but she prescribed me some anti-nausea tablets and they worked a treat...felt better within about an hour of taking the first tablet! Eventually stopped taking the medication around week 18 as was feeling lots better by then. Please go visit Ur GP as I am sure they will try to help. X

buterflies Tue 09-Aug-11 20:37:42

Hi I have spoken to my GP and she has prescribed me some anti sickness tablets. I am able to eat little and often, toast etc so dont think its anything too serious just MS. Am just coming up to 8 weeks now so am hoping this is the worst of it and that I will be better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now