Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

toxoplasmosis and undercooked burger

(5 Posts)
thejaffacakesareonme Mon 08-Aug-11 21:07:11

I'm feeling very stupid. I had a burger for tea and cooked it until it was black on both sides as it was quite thick. I stuck a knife into it and the juices ran clear. I had eaten more than half of it when I noticed that it was still pink in the middle. It didn't taste raw or cold but I did have quite a bit of ketchup on it! Now I'm wondering what the chances are that I could have harmed my baby. I'll be nine weeks tomorrow. I'm hoping the chances are tiny. Does anyone know what the odds are? I've been googling and found that the main source for toxoplasmosis in pregnant women is undercooked minced meat, but don't know what the chances are that the meat I ate was infected, if you see what I mean.

Crosshair Mon 08-Aug-11 21:12:25

So you want random people from the internet to guess?

If you're worried consult your MW/GP. My guess would be the chances of being infected by a slightly pink burger are slim.

LisMcA Mon 08-Aug-11 21:17:39

First rule of MN - DO NOT GOOGLE grin

From what I know the chances are tiny something like 3 in 100,000, but if you feel unwell then contact NHS direct or your GP. I ate medium rare steaks when pg with DS, I'm not a fan of burgers, with no ill effects. There are all these guidlines for what you should and shouldn't eat whilst pg and they are always changing. But they are just that, guidelines.

Try not to panic, you have a long way to go!!

AKP79 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:22:18

I'd STOP googling for a start, you'll only upset yourself. You've eaten it now and the chances are it will be absolutely fine. I'm only saying this because I did the exact same thing at a BBQ, called my midwife in a flap and she said to calm down and forget about it. She then went on to list how many mums she know spent the first few weeks of their pregnancy drinking etc because they didn't know they were pregnant. I realised that she's right, I won't make the same mistake again, but I couldn't change what had happened.

I'm sure you'll be ok.

AKP79 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:24:29

Oh that was 4 weeks ago by the way and I'm fine. I was convinced I was ill, but soon realised I was making myself feel sick through worry! Feel silly about it all now! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now