Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Allowance??

(14 Posts)

Good afternoon all!

I am currently on mat leave with DS which was due to end next week. I have handed in my notice as they are unable to offer me a part time position, and therefore am only employed until the end of this week, but on the unpaid bit of mat leave.
Last week I found out that I'm expecting DC#2, does anyone know if I am entitled to Maternity Allowance?

Actually, having googled it, it looks that although I was employed, I havent earnt enough to get it...

If anyone does actually know though, can they comment?

Ta smile

Ellypoo Mon 08-Aug-11 14:11:00

Have a look on direct.gov.uk - there is loads of info on there, so hopefully it should help you out smile

kateyfer Mon 08-Aug-11 14:15:58

I'm pretty sure that you have to be physically present in the workplace for 26 weeks prior to the pregnancy before you qualify for maternity allowance. You might want to double-check though...

Thanks Elly, I looked on there and it says employed, but doesnt specify if being on mat leave would count...

I've got an appointment to see my (former) employer to try to get some temp work to try to earn what I can and try to get some sort of mat pay. Feel awful not telling my (former) boss, esp as I told her the day of my BFP last time, but I dont want to chance them not giving me work...

kateyfer Mon 08-Aug-11 14:29:02

you're not aobliged to tell you employer that you are pregnant until the 25th week of pregnancy, so don't!

Oh dont worry, I know I dont have to tell them, I just feel guilty if I dont grin

kateyfer Mon 08-Aug-11 14:36:22

know what you mean!!

MsChanandlerBong Mon 08-Aug-11 14:47:33

I have just gone through the process of applying for Maternity Allowance, as I was made redundant at Christmas (and then found out I was pregnant at the beginning of Jan!!)

I have my paperwork here... you need to have been employed for at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before the week you expect to have the baby. (Nice and straightforward, eh?!)

Eg my baby is due on the 15th September, so as I worked for a minimum of 26 weeks between 6th June 2010 - 10th Sept 2011 I am eligible for Maternity Allowance.

It doesn't mention maternity leave here, but if I were you I would ring up DWP and ask them (anonymously if you want to - they never asked my name or details). 0845 608 8519. It may be that by doing some temp work with your previous employer, it will nudge you over the 26 weeks...

Good luck!

OneOf8 Mon 08-Aug-11 14:56:35

Sorry - just to say you are employed whilst on Maternity leave.

Thats why if you don't wish to return you resign/give notice.

The direct.gov site is easy to understand to calculate what you need to be entitled to Mat allowance.

It may be due to pay during your leave you fail to meet the minimum threashold, but as stat mat pay was over the minimum earnings, I cant see this being an issue.

Congatulations on your pregnancy!

MsChanandlerBong Mon 08-Aug-11 15:02:16

Oneof8 - isn't the minimum earnings £30 p/w (gross)? Or a I getting confused?! Flicking through my Maternity Allowance notes sheet from DWP but a lot of it is confusingly written IMO.

OneOf8 Mon 08-Aug-11 15:17:29

Let me have a look - I know there is a minimum - but not sure what it is, I just remember most of the eranings bit is in line with stat mat pay - will report back.

I had to advise one of my employees to MA as she started "late" so had not been employed long enough to qualify for SMP, but she is entitled to MA. I only skimmed it to get the detail she needed.

OneOf8 Mon 08-Aug-11 15:47:15

- Copy and pasted from the website -

You may be eligible if:

-you've been employed and/or self-employed for at least 26 weeks in
-your 'test period' (66 weeks up to and including the week before the week your baby is due) - part weeks count as full weeks
-you earned £30 a week averaged over any 13 weeks in your test period

I read the last part that total earnings in 66 weeks divided by 66 (weeks) must be over £30 - however call DWP and confirm this, or check in with the job centre (hopefully you live near one of the good ones!) who can confirm.

As this is not a matter the employer normally gets involved with, I am of limited use other than confirming you are still employed during your mat leave. Don't forget to make sure they pay any accrued outstanding annual leave as it may come down to every last penny to get what you are entitled to under MA.

Just read the jolly-choice-typing (creative use of spelling) from my last post. I can spell - I just cant concentrate! Not long returned from Mat leave, so still catching up (mostly catching up with mumsnet!)

MsChanandlerBong Mon 08-Aug-11 15:49:42

I would ring the number... the job centre were of absolutely no use whatsoever for me!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now