Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wahing baby clothes before baby arrives

(19 Posts)
benne81 Mon 08-Aug-11 12:18:40

Ok this may be a stupid question but I'm a first timer confused. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need to wash all the brand new baby clothes before the little one wears them, is this correct and dos anybody know why?

I'm preparing my hospital bag and not sure if they really need washing. I'm also a bit wary about washing all the things I have bought before the baby arrives as that will mean I won't be able to return/exchange them if the baby is bigger than expected or grows quickly. What have other people out there done?

Crosshair Mon 08-Aug-11 12:21:16

I think its to do with chemicals used in the manufacturing/packing process. Not at your stage yet, so havent really looked into it.

Enraha Mon 08-Aug-11 12:22:04

Definitely wash them, as the factory finish may cause skin irritations and countless unknown hands have been handling them to manufacture and package them. If you're worried about sizes, just wash enough to cope with the first couple of days.

tiddleypompom Mon 08-Aug-11 12:26:13

Just washed mine - sod all to do with chemical concern at the time (hadn't heard about that before), all about cuteness of long line of babygrows blowing in the breeze, sigh. I even took a photo.
Guessing I won't think it looks so cute after a few months of new motherhood when they're all covered in shi*t grin

allthefires Mon 08-Aug-11 12:36:22

How about washing some just to see you through the first few days?
Do you have a lovely family member/friend who will take a bag if washing for you so you can sleep?

I have brought some m&s sleepsuits in up to 1 mths. So glad Indians buy newborn as after going into tumble dryer on half power after being partially dried on line they had Definately shrunk! I compared it to the one in pack that was going in a dark wash.

NigellaLawless Mon 08-Aug-11 12:39:16

I don't know if its absolutely necessary but I can't help myself, I have spent two day washing every last thing we have been given/bought for the baby and am now ironing baby grows - and i never ever iron confused

I'm sure your baby will be fine if you don't wash them, but it does feel quite nice to be doing it grin

Beesok Mon 08-Aug-11 12:40:30

It's a punishment for all that new mum splurging on baby clothes hahaha smile just kidding smile like others said it's mainly for hygiene reasons and I was also told that they should be ironed to get rid of any bacteria etc, some people wash them in really high temperatures but most of the stuff I bought say max 40 so I don't want to ruin them.

I've set aside a week just for washing, ironing and arranging baby clothes in the closet and I am super excited about that smile my excitement will probably vanish AFTER the baby is born and starts soiling them on a regular basis ;)

nannyl Mon 08-Aug-11 12:49:18

im 35 weeks now and have been washing everything over the last couple of weeks

1 more wash load left and everything will be done. smile

I have washed mine in a very small amount of non bio and given them an extra rinse too, and also just loved looking at all the cute tiny white baby outfits drying in the sunshine

then ironed it all and now its all beautiful in babys drawers

(doubt it will ever get ironed again though!)

allthefires Mon 08-Aug-11 12:53:40

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/question470.htm

Article on chemicals used in clothes

NoobyNoob Mon 08-Aug-11 13:58:06

Yes, I washed mine with DS1 and intend to with DC2.

Also, the smell of the fabric softner takes me right back to that time of year when I was just about to have him.

Lovely smile

HandMini Mon 08-Aug-11 14:23:29

I didn't wash any of my new stuff. Sorry if that's terrible, just thought I'd add my twopence worth. I also use any type of washing powder that's on offer, whereas I think some people recommend non-bio for baby clothes...is that right?

humph123 Mon 08-Aug-11 16:39:39

I started to wash new clothes but then stopped because i wasn't sure if any of the new stuff might need to be refunded/exchanged and once you have a baby you are washing clothes all of the time and you get sick of it! - baby was fine in clothes straight from shop.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 08-Aug-11 16:41:49

I ironed muslin cloths blush. I had nothing else to do... this one will be lucky if the clothes are washed grin

nunnie Mon 08-Aug-11 16:43:29

I like the little clothes on the line look, however this time my youngest will be under 12 months when the new one arrives and the little clothes look isn't quite as appealing with this age gap. Will wash what I have new which isn't much as I will be using my youngests clothes for this one.

YouDoTheMath Mon 08-Aug-11 16:45:13

I washed mine - I was all excited to see them hanging on the dryer!

It's a good idea to get rid of chemicals/dust from the factories they're manufactured in.

Beesok Mon 08-Aug-11 17:29:53

I usually avoid ironing like the plague! In fact, have items of clothing I haven't worn for months because I just can't be bothered to iron them blush

but so excited about ironing baby clothes and muslins etc - nesting instinct really beginning to kick in now grin

Taffybird Tue 09-Aug-11 00:16:22

Yep, that's happened to me too. I didn't get the compulsion to clean out cupboards and wipe down walls...but anything that stayed still for 5 minutes got ironed!

We got bags and bags of hand-me-downs though, and most had been stored in peoples attics so I automatically washed & ironed everything. I've also washed a few of the new things I've bought, just because I think new clothes always feel a little bit stiff until they've had their first wash.

OP, I know what you mean about being wary when things might have to be exchanged or refunded. I was downright superstitious until about 36 weeks. But there comes a point where you just have to take a leap of faith. I decided that if I end up with a load of clothes I can't use, and can't take back because I've washed them, I'll just eBay them.

Now, when I look at the piles and piles of clean, immaculately ironed little pink, flowery vests and babygrows, I am haunted by the words of our ultrasonographer: "I think it's a little girl..."

Dozeyland Tue 09-Aug-11 09:04:07

Definitely wash them, I thought the same when I had my DD (now 9months)

Plus, smelling them all washed and ironed was the best bit (a beautiful memory for me anyway) smile

CrazyAlien06 Tue 09-Aug-11 09:28:08

I've washed all the clothes I've bought for my first child, am currently 32 +2. I never iron but can't wait for my nursery furniture to arrive ( and DH to build it lol)so that I can get cracking on the ironing and put them all away smile
I also took a photo of them drying on the line, DH got rather excited/emotional seeing them :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now