Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tell me about your bleeding in pregnancy

(25 Posts)
FeelingaBitSick Sun 07-Aug-11 07:52:42

Just looking for some reassurance really! I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my second child, and yesterday I got up to find I was bleeding. Not enough to fill a pad, but enough to look scary on the tissue! It was pretty fresh (sorry TMI blush )

I also had abdo and back pains, but because I couldn't tell if this was related to a previous back injury or not the OOH GP sent me for a scan. The Registrar who examined me was lovely, she did an exam with with a speculum and said she was happy with what she saw there, and then did an ultrasound that showed a lovely baby in exactly the right place and its heart beating smile

I felt so much better and went home very positive, but this morning I'm still bleeding, and it's not brown it's red. I'm just terrified I'm going to loose this baby and my anxiety is through the roof.

Can all of you lovely mnetters tell me about your experiences to help me try and stay positive?

Honeypie80 Sun 07-Aug-11 08:44:27

Hi,

I havent had this myself but have heard tons of stories of bleeding when pregnant and it most certainly does not always lead to the conclusion your thinking of, there could be tons of reasons why, my friend bled from the 6th week on and off through to around 15 weeks before they found she had an infection.

If you have already been seen by the registrar and she was happy with what she saw id say try and relax about it and stop worrying (easier said than done i know) but if your really worried just ring them up again and tell them its fresh blood to see what they advise, take care x

Folicacid Sun 07-Aug-11 08:46:28

I'm 27 weeks pregnant. Before the 12 week scan, I bled at around 6 weeks and again at around 10 weeks. They couldn't see a reason for it and baby was developing at both scans.

I've also had two bouts of bleeding since at 20 and 24 weeks due to low lying placenta.

Any bleeding needs to be checked out / reported so contact your Early Pregnancy Unit again even though you have just seen someone and let them know you are bleeding again.

Hope all goes well smile

BigusBumus Sun 07-Aug-11 08:52:33

I bled around 6-10 weeks with both my pregnancies. Bright red blood, no pain. Was very worrying but I had scans etc and there was no explanation for it and I had 2 DSs at the end.

In contrast I have also has a mc at 10 weeks. The spotting of blood started and never did any coming and going thing. Just started light and got progressively worse very very quickly. So within 24 hours of the first blood, I had mc'd completely.

The spotting with the healthy pregnancies was much much lighter and sort of on/off iykwim.

squiggleywiggler Sun 07-Aug-11 09:09:20

I bled at 4, 7, 13, 19, 24 and 34 weeks. DD arrived at 37 +4 - fast, uncomplicated homebirth, 7 lbs 6 ozs and is now 18 months and currently shouting 'Bruuuuce' (our cat) while chasing him round the living room.

I remember how scary it is. I found I got slightly less freaked out as the pregnancy went on and I got used to it.

Wishing you all the best.

Folicacid Sun 07-Aug-11 10:13:46

Other thing I was going to say is that when I was bleeding I obsessively read all the early bleeding threads on here and on other forums and also started one of my own on here and really it's a mixed bag. I'd read ten posts saying every thing was fine with my bleeding and I'd be elated then read one post saying I had a miscarriage after bleeding and I'd be broken hearted. But those odds are still good (although in no way scientific!)
Really, to put your mind at ease contact the EPU and see what they say.

edwinbear Sun 07-Aug-11 13:39:52

I had my first bleed with DS at 7+4 and had bleeds pretty much on and off the whole way through, with the last one at about 36 weeks. I had lots of extra scans and examinations and they never did find out what was causing it. It was really frightening the first few times, but I have to say, after about the 4th or 5th time I became reasonably relaxed about it - I always had it checked out but it wasn't quite so stressful. DS (23 months) was born at 41+6 perfectly happy and healthy.

MadamDeathstare Sun 07-Aug-11 13:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Sun 07-Aug-11 13:48:52

FeelingaBitSick Sun 07-Aug-11 16:54:32

Thank you all for your kind messages.

I've spoken to the EPU where I had my scan, the nurse wasn't very helpful TBH, just told me to make a GP appointment tomorrow sad

I know bleeding doesn't necessarily mean miscarriage (as you've all shown!) I just have had many setbacks in the past couple of years (other than my lovely DD) and this baby was making me feel really positive for a change.

Will update if any changes, thank you again

blueeyedmonster Sun 07-Aug-11 19:08:16

I had bleeding throughout my pregnancy with ds. It started at 7ish weeks and was about every 4 weeks after. I would always have some bright red blood and I was completely freaked out most times although I did start to get used to it in the end and I would be calm about it.

I ended up with an overnight stay at 25 weeks because I lost quite a bit and I got examined and yet more scans. They never found out why it was though but it wasn't harming baby at all.

He is now a very bouncy and active 3.7 year old who arrived at 40+11 despite me being told he would arrive early!

redfoxy Sun 07-Aug-11 19:12:08

I had bleeding around 8 wks, no explanation, was travelling at the time and holed up in a B&B for a few days til it passed, which it did after a few days, it came and went, and had a healthy baby.

SootySweepandSue Sun 07-Aug-11 19:18:25

Had a week long bleed (same time each day but not continuous) at 7/8 weeks. Was on holiday at the time. Scan said all was ok. I was given progesterone which stopped the bleeding straight away.

FeelingaBitSick Mon 08-Aug-11 11:43:09

Thanks guys, GP has arranged scan for Weds so will just have to sit tight until then. Bleeding has increased though and become dark red so am just preparing myself for the worst sad

humph123 Mon 08-Aug-11 16:45:43

i bled at around 11 weeks, bright red but no pain. i couldnt believe it or accept that something might be wrong. i had a scan next day - baby was absolutely fine. i had a low placenta which can cause bleeding.

charlee89 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:15:49

hello im new to this.im really worried and was wondering if someone could help me.

im roughly 4 weeks pregnant.Had alot of symptoms,lower back ache,headaches,fatigue,nauseous,veins on my breasts an abdomen even onmy legs and a white discharge,sometimes like lotion.anyway on the day my period was due i noticed some brown discharge on my knickers,not alot.later in the afternoon when i wiped there was some more but with a hint of red in it.im really worried and have no idea why im having this discharge can someone give me some advice please?
would be very much appreciated x

MadamDeathstare Mon 08-Aug-11 22:01:09

Gastonladybird Mon 08-Aug-11 22:13:03

I have had several bleeds- one at about 7 weeks, one at about 11 weeks and one last week (14 weeks). All intermittent light or old b,ending and no pain. Scans etc showed baby fine - only explanation offered last week was might be low placenta.

Agree with whoever said get it checked out- dr mums net/ google ca give you lots of stories but although common , it does need checking in case it's serious.

Cattleprod Tue 09-Aug-11 08:12:10

I'm 29 weeks pregnant. I bled heavily and fairly consistently from week 4 to week 11. The sonographer picked up an area of haemmorage on my uterus wall (a bit like a graze), but it was very scary having had a mmc at the end of last year.

charlee89 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:09:11

following on from my last message,when i wiped this morning i had a long brown clot about 7cm long,had light bleeding today with some small blood clots.no pain no cramps.im really confused.worried i may be miscarrying,twins run in my family so im worried i may have misscaried one.this is my first pregnancy and im very scared.

MadamDeathstare Tue 09-Aug-11 16:51:01

FeelingaBitSick Wed 10-Aug-11 13:26:02

Just to give you an update, everything is fine grin I honestly don't know how a baby could survive amongst all that bleeding but it has! Had my scan earlier and saw a lovely baby with a good strong heartbeat smile smile

Charlee I hope you've managed to contact your GP, I wish you all the best.

charlee89 Wed 10-Aug-11 20:39:38

congrats i am pleased for you

i did see my GP today who told me im having a threatened miscarriage sad
she phoned the EPU and was told because i am only 4 and a half weeks pregnant that they will not do an ultra sound as nothing will show.anyway the brown discharge stopped this afternoon and then a few hours later i went to the toilet and noticed bright red blood i am now having slight cramps.i am so scared i am miscarrying

Cattleprod Wed 10-Aug-11 21:29:18

Sorry to hear that charlee, I hope you have people there to support you in real life. I'm not sure exactly what a 'threatened mc' means, but if the worst happens and you are scared ring your EPU, there will be someone there to reassure you about what is happening. And the miscarriage board on mumsnet were very helpful and supportive when I had one last year.

Look after yourself.

charlee89 Wed 10-Aug-11 21:43:45

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now