Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD/PGP, public transport and a toddler - any tips?

(7 Posts)
PeggyCarter Sat 06-Aug-11 15:36:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elgoldenflower Sun 07-Aug-11 21:25:50

There's an SPD support thread here that might help, some lovely supportive women going through the same thing.

I don't have a toddler but I'm 28 weeks and have had SPD for some time. Been on crutches for 10 weeks already. I'm fortunate and bus stop is nearby but still find the reliance on public transport really tricky. I now do internet food shopping only and have also succumbed to a big online boots order for lots of baby bits and pieces. The internet is my best friend at the moment.

I've had to adjust to just being at home a lot which may be trickier with a toddler but I just suggest you try to get your head round doing as little as possible. Explain the problem to friends and family and hopefully they'll visit you. I've also considered patient transport options for MW appointments but not tried them.

Finally get yourself referred to Physio ASAP and hopefully they'll treat you, I've been seeing an osteopath who's worked wonders at keeping me comfortable and more mobiile, but it is costly and we've had to sacrifice other stuff.

Hope that's some use to you

allthefires Mon 08-Aug-11 08:04:33

Invite people to your home for picnics in garden, playdates etc. Maybe plan any trips you need to make towards the end if week so DP is home at weekends in order for you to recover from them.

Is pushing pram easier than making toddler walk? If so do that- my nearly 4 was in his the other day as I just couldn't have controlled him otherwise.

Internet for food shopping, crack on with Christmas/ birthdays presents so you don't have to battle crowds.

Luckily your dc is likely to be able to be amused at home so whilst Its a shame not to get out and about this summer he's unlikely to pester for it.

allthefires Mon 08-Aug-11 08:05:52

Also I love oestopathy. I saw a cranial one who I see for other things. She's eased my spd too. Physio were useless for me.

PeggyCarter Mon 08-Aug-11 08:57:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allthefires Mon 08-Aug-11 09:03:41

Unfortunately Oesto isn't available on Nhs.

I understand the beach thing- we haven't been this summer and it's only 20 mins walk away. Couldn't bare the pain!

notcitrus Mon 08-Aug-11 13:04:27

Good luck. My only tip if you are using public transport is to carry a walking stick or crutch even if you aren't using it much, as it seems to be a magic talisman for people to realise you need help.
(12 weeks and having SPD plus a nearly-3-yo who has to be forced out of his pushchair as I can hardly push it. I foresee many an afternoon on various pavements as he keeps staging sit-down protests...)

Have you checked minicab prices? Might compare OK once a week or so to the expense and effort etc of a return bus journey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now