Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Delivery led vs midwifery led birthing units

(4 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Sat 06-Aug-11 12:19:26

I don't know if all hospitals run like this, but in my local maternity hospital they have both Delivery Led and Midwifery Led birthing units.

Can anyone summarise the difference and would you recommend Midwifery Led? Last time I used DL, no problems but just wondered if ML is better.

nannyl Sat 06-Aug-11 13:30:06

do you mean consultant led Vs midwife led?

melliebobs Sat 06-Aug-11 13:45:15

Where I live there's a hospital that's consultant lead and a hospital that's midwife.

Main difference is the midwife lead unit you get 1:1 care. They have about 350 births a year compared to 5000 at the consultant lead one. Needless to say that place is hectic. At the midwife lead unit the only pain relief is water birth/massage/aromatherapy/gas and air. Also they don't do c-sections. So if u want stronger pain relief or there's an emergency u get transferred to the other hospital. Which takes about 20 mins.

I'm swaying towards midwife lead, mainly due to how busy the other place is. I have visions of having my baby in a corridor or car park! Also I don't want to be left for long periods of time on my own. Much rather get 1:1 care

YouDoTheMath Sat 06-Aug-11 15:22:47

Thanks, that was the impression I got, I just wanted to make sure.

I have a feeling it's Consultant Led in some places, but they call it Delivery Led in ours.

Will prob go for ML next time, as midwife was flitting between me and one or two others last time. I didn't mind so much, it was just that when she left the room she'd say to DP, "Whatever you do don't let her push", which of course meant I had an overwhelming urge to do so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now