Talk

Advanced search

first day of leave...

(16 Posts)
lightsandshapes Fri 05-Aug-11 22:18:29

First email from work 'marked important' asking for info.....
should i ignore to avoid a slippery slop scenario?
Colleauge was very disengaged when I was trying to 'handover' on Thursday.
Am pretty annoyed that they have managed less than 24 hours before contacting me about a work issue. wwyd? my dad suggested a short text (have his number) to ring me so as to train them I'm not responding to emails.

nannyl Fri 05-Aug-11 22:33:37

I vote ignore

if they really cant ignore they can call you and you can answer this query BUT make it quite clear that you are on maternity leave and will be responding to work emails when you are back at work

Dont start on the slippery slope!

Lynzilove Fri 05-Aug-11 22:35:59

As long as you left an out of office on telling senders who to contact in your absence, ignore it. It's the only way people will get used to you not being there. I'm 2 months into my leave and still check my emails from time to time (I'm nosey and like to stay in the loop) especially as it's hitting the fan currently. However I never reply to any, just file and forget! It's easier than you think, my handover was equally as crap and I really thought I'd struggle as I'm a bit of a control freak but letting go completely was surprisingly easy, especially now little man is here.

lightsandshapes Fri 05-Aug-11 22:36:37

Thanks for the validation Nannyl smile

lightsandshapes Fri 05-Aug-11 22:39:34

Thanks Lynzilove too.... The same colleauge that has emailed me asked on my last day if I would be popping in in the next few weeks. He looked genuinely shocked when I said 'er, no'. Some people just don't get that leave means leave!

lightsandshapes Sat 06-Aug-11 09:12:45

Do others agree?

LearningFast Sat 06-Aug-11 10:19:56

I'm on annual leave at the moment (since last Thursday) prior to starting maternity leave proper in 10 days and absolutely agree that work should have no expectations whatsoever of you answering email or work related calls.

I have offered to check my mail over this couple of weeks that I am on annual leave (and send on to the person who is covering my post with any instructions as to how to deal with it) but no-one expects that. With proper procedures in place (i.e. I let all colleagues and clients know I would be off, and have set up the relevant people with access to my work In Box, did handover etc) it shouldn't be necessary for them to contact you.

Pudding2be Sat 06-Aug-11 16:26:18

Dont do it! You're right, it's a v slippery slope.

Although I've just started my leave, and it's my DP who will be covering my job. He starts in a couple of weeks so I don't think I'll not be able to help myself smile

hairylights Sat 06-Aug-11 17:44:42

What arrangements did you make with your employer about contact while on ml? And why were you checking your work emails?

lightsandshapes Sat 06-Aug-11 19:04:22

hi hairylights.... I have email on my phone and it was too much to resist reading it! blush.

I've done pretty good handover notes and briefed them so they didn't need to contact me and said only do so in a disaster! The one guy who did though is a pain in the arse and totally didn't listen when I was telling him arrangements for while I was away...said, 'I've got to go in 5 minutes' and 'the only thing I need to know is X'. Only to email me the next day about 'Y'.

Pudding - at least you know your job is in safe hands!! I wouldn't be able to help myself either iiwu!

x

hairylights Sat 06-Aug-11 19:15:19

In which case ... Ignore the email as they have no need to contact you ...and delete work email account from your phone right away!

Dint let this start now, it will only get worse.

YBR Sun 07-Aug-11 08:11:01

I think I'd be inclined to be generous the first time, but still need to discourage it - slippery slope as Nannyl says. Thus I'd not answer it for a week and then say some thing like "I'm sure you've coped already" or point out that leave doesn't mean available to work from home!

tak1ngchances Sun 07-Aug-11 08:24:33

I would disable your email function on your phone. Is it a BlackBerry? Leave means no contact. Employers especially have to realise that. Too many people are checking their email on holidays/leave and it is creating an 'always on' culture that is not at all healthy.
I realised this when I came around from a general anaesthetic and the first thing I did was ask for my BB...DH thought it was to phone home but actually I wasn't to check my email. He nearly threw the thing out the window when he saw what I was doing, but I was so caught up in work and things going on that I actually thought it was normal.
Bottom line is, you've told them that you were going, they had plenty of advance warning (very visible in your case as you are pregnant!) so there is absolutely no excuse for anyone contacting you, unless it is to wish you luck.
IGNORE.

PinkFondantFancy Sun 07-Aug-11 19:35:07

I would say put your out of office on (if it's not already) and give someone that you trust your personal email address to be used only in case of absolute dire emergency, but apart from that, have no other contact on work issues.

Eviepoo Mon 08-Aug-11 21:44:50

I'd say ignore.

I am now thinking that my boss taking my laptop and blackberry and locking them in her filing cabinet (only for use on KIT days) is a positive thing smile

She also planned my handover months in advance.

lightsandshapes Tue 09-Aug-11 14:55:44

Eviepoo - what a great boss - and no surprise she's female!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now