Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

saunas, hot baths, Jacuzzis, steam rooms

(9 Posts)
bmm39 Fri 05-Aug-11 15:52:44

Hi ladies,
Its my wedding anniversery this weekend and I am off with hubby to a spa hotel. I am 11 weeks pregnant and I have been told that I shouldn't go in sauna's, hot baths, jacuzzis and steam rooms in case I over heat! Is this true?

nannyl Fri 05-Aug-11 16:28:47

yes, its true that you mustnt let your core body temperature rise.

I have had a hot bath nearly every night, and been in the steam pods (and hot pools) at bath thermae spa.
I LOVE them, and while id sit there for 30mins + when not pregnant i allowed myself 5 - 8 mins, in steam pods, with a cold shower and cold foot bath in between.

Im 34+5 and all seems fine. I cant see how a few mins could or would make my core body temperature rise, but officially its not advisable

notcitrus Fri 05-Aug-11 16:42:30

You're warned against them because they may make you feel faint and knock yourself out.
FWIW I went on a spa break when it turned out I was about 11 weeks (but didn't know I was pregnant), and while I normally love saunas I just couldn't stay in for more than 30 seconds, and the pool was a bit much too. However there was also an wonderful aromatherapy 'sauna' which was like a coolish shower, and an outdoor jacuzzi, which I spent hours in - given my head was in the fresh air, I don't think there was any risk of overheating.

Personally I'd avoid the sauna and possibly the steam room if it's very hot but the rest may well be OK, especially with your husband with you. And treat yourself to a gentle massage or facial or something!

Have a lovely weekend.

melliebobs Fri 05-Aug-11 16:43:21

Don't get me started on the hot tub debate! I am going on holiday to a cottage in Devon and it has its own private hot tub. I'll be 20 weeks when i go and there is no way i am NOT going in it! The guidance doesn't make sense. How is it safe to have a bath but not go in a hot tub?! A bath's hotter. In my eye as long as my skin doesn't change colour (from the temp.) and i keep hydrated and i'm not sat in it all night a hot tub would be fine.

A sauna and steam room however is a different kettle of fish cos yu sweat sweat sweat and you leave dripping so i'd avoid that.

notlettingthefearshow Fri 05-Aug-11 18:05:37

Not hot baths or similar because it can increase your core temperature which is not advisable. A warm bath is OK, but certainly not saunas, etc. I wouldn't do it.

icravecheese Fri 05-Aug-11 18:18:58

I think the other risk with hot tubs / jacuzzi is that they could harbour bacteria (I recall a big legionnaires outbreak several yrs ago linked to hot tubs that hadnt been treated with chemicals properly). But sauna's and steam rooms I'd have thought would be fine bacteria wise, just need to make sure you don't overheat. Enjoy your wkend, sounds fab!!

Ilovekittyelise Fri 05-Aug-11 19:11:17

the reason you are advised not to indulge is the danger of fainting, its not a threat to the baby. scandinavians happily do it all the way through. iv been using the steam room at the gym for short periods all the way through, and frankly, anything that helps ease my back and makes me feel a little more relaxed has got to be a good thing. like with everything else, the risks are grossly over-emphasised and you are definitely in more danger crossing the road.

Ilovekittyelise Fri 05-Aug-11 19:14:21

ps that last bit was a direct quote of a friend who is a consultant.

scepticalexpat Sat 06-Aug-11 14:44:57

I did the same as NannyL - went to Bath Thermae spa when 25 weeks pregnant and went in the steam pods for 5 or 10 minutes, cooling off in between. I know you're not supposed to but I just paid careful attention to how I was feeling and was more conservative than usual about how long I stayed in. All is well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now