Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Older Mum

(5 Posts)
dibdibqueen Fri 05-Aug-11 13:49:36

A surprise pregnancy at the grand old age of 41!! First one and totally delighted, but also a bit anxious about being that bit older. Any advice?

BlueChampagne Fri 05-Aug-11 14:01:14

Is it your first? I had DS2 at 40 and had a problem-free pregnancy and uncomplicated home birth. Good luck!

dibdibqueen Fri 05-Aug-11 14:08:10

Thanks! I hope mine goes as well as yours! Yes, my first pregnancy - only 8 weeks right now and not feeling too bad at all. Am a bit paranoid about miscarriage though because of my age. Still in a bit of shock too as was unplanned - a nice shock though!

BikeRunSki Fri 05-Aug-11 14:08:47

I was 37 when I had DS, and DD is due in October, 2 weeks before my 41st birthday.

What are you anxious about? If it is the pg, then the only problems I had were not age related (hyperemisis, undiagnosed breech), but then that is a bit of a done deal for you now. You might want to think about what you'd do if your tests (bloods, nuchal fold) show a high risk of chromosomal abnormalities. Would you do anything? If not, then don't worry about it.

If it is the "social" side of things, then I have never found it a problem. Having children around the same age is a great leveller. In my group of mummy friends, we range from 25-43. No one cares how old each other is, what they do for a living, how big their house is.... it is irreleavant. What is relevant is that we all have 3ish year olds and they are/are not eating/sleeping/growing/talking/tantruming ... Once a month we all go out for a curry and have non0age related fun. I have never found my age to be an issue in 3 years of being a mum.

Jill72 Fri 05-Aug-11 14:11:10

I am 39 and felt a bit overwhelmed to start with even though I was thrilled to be a mum!!! All is going well so far. I was unplanned too - feels a bit funny to have got 'caught out' after all these years of careful contraception! Good luck with it all and enjoy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now