Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I have started to pack my bag...

(133 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 05-Aug-11 10:45:24

Can someone tell me if I have forgotten anything?

I know there have been so many threads about this but just need someone to tell me to stop panicking!

So far I have:

Towel/flannel
Pants
Maternity pads (3 x 10pack)
Nighties x 2 for labour and one after
Jogging bottoms and vest tops to act as pjs for the ward
Toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothpaste, face wipes, hairbrush, bobbles and clips (toothbrush will go in at end)
Carrier bag for dirties
Slippers
Socks
Phone charger.

Have I missed anything essential? I haven't started babys bag yet as I haven't washed any of the clothes yet, doing that this weekend. So far that has pretty much filled a small pull along case, like an air hostess has. Is that ridiculous? I'm going to have to have an extra holdall for baby things. I feel a prat going with 2 bags.

<wibble>

rooks14 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:23:11

Camera! V.important smile

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 05-Aug-11 11:24:40

Ah I will be using the one on my phone so got that covered. But thanks smile

flutterbye1988 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:28:32

I have packed the exact same in my bag (its a little wheelie one as well) then i just used a baby changing bag for the baby clothes and nappies etc.

After seeing a woman next to my sister in law a few weeks ago, with a full size suitcase a hold all and a baby bag, plus stereo i know that no matter how much i pack i wont be the worst lol

flutterbye1988 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:30:13

ooo don't forget breast pads

OrangeGloss Fri 05-Aug-11 11:42:38

You could maybe check to see if you need your phone charger certified before you plug in at hospital, you do at ours

How about snacks and drinks? I've packed some cereal bars and a bottle of dilutable squash

tunnocksteacake Fri 05-Aug-11 11:55:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 05-Aug-11 13:24:06

Breast pads.

Thank you!!! I knew there was something.

Tunnocks - Yes have bought like ten pairs of cheap cotton briefs in black that I can just get rid of if necessary.

Orange - Cereal bars is a great idea thanks. And am planning on taking a couple of bottles of water that I can keep in the freezer until we leave.

flutterbye - I shall not worry about my little pull along then. Phew! There must be so many people that worry about taking too much or not enough! grin

tiokiko Fri 05-Aug-11 13:27:35

I'd take flip flops rather than slippers - ward will be hot so you won't get cold feet and then you can use flip flops in the shower/bathroom too as they're not always v clean.

LivinInTheMoment Fri 05-Aug-11 13:56:23

+1 on the flip-flops and snacks, nature valley granola bars are yummy

also i am taking my make up bag, so i can glam up a bit look normal for photos/visitors!
And dry shampoo if i am not in the humour for washin my hair.

iWILLdothis Fri 05-Aug-11 14:02:08

Lip balm

EldritchCleavage Fri 05-Aug-11 14:09:45

Magazines. You need light reading matter for when sleep is not coming and you need a diversion to keep from going mad (there were BAD snorers on my ward last time).
Boiled sweets.
Small juice boxes.

MsChanandlerBong Fri 05-Aug-11 14:21:47

Uumm, slightly wierd question coming up...
People have mentioned needing a jug of some sort to pour water 'down there' whilst you do your first few post-birth wees... do I need to include that in my hospital bag or do you tend to find something to use at the hospital?

blush

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 05-Aug-11 14:38:49

They should have a bidet MCB.

I just used the loo as normal after DD and I had stitches and it wasnt too bad.

HPonEverything Fri 05-Aug-11 14:41:42

water cooling spray type thing for your face, I've not done the labour thing yet but I've heard this is useful

I was wondering the same about the jug MsChanandler!

iWILLdothis Fri 05-Aug-11 14:43:37

No bidet in the bathroom at my hospital. It was recommended to me to pee in the shower! blush (So you definitely need those flip-flops!) Was also given a little jug though to pour water "down there" as I pee....and later was given large empty syringe to fill with water.....easier to aim than with an awkward jug!

Sandra2011 Fri 05-Aug-11 14:52:12

Don't forget to take some food with you.

I had my son at 5pm and when I got back to the ward dinner had already been served and all I got was a cup of tea and two sliced of toast.

Luckily my husband managed to get me some nice hot food for hospital cafeteria as I was really starving.
He also bought me some fresh fruits.

wearenotinkansas Fri 05-Aug-11 16:24:17

Oh god. So glad I saw this. Am 36 weeks today and haven't even started thinking about my baby yet - am assuming it will be late and I'll have a cs - but I suppose it might not go that way! <rushes off to find suitable bag>

wearenotinkansas Fri 05-Aug-11 16:30:20

argh - what a slip "haven't started thinking about my bag yet" - although possibly am in denial about whole thing...

ShowOfHands Fri 05-Aug-11 16:40:36

I packed two bags for me. One for labour (with nighties, towel, TENS, maternity pads, knickers, snacks etc) and then another one that was in case of having to stay in for any length of time. That way I only had a small day bag full of definitely needed stuff, plus dh could take that away and replace with the overnight bag if necessary, otherwise it would remain in the car unused.

But yes, there were women on the ward with suitcases, holdalls, bags, stuff they'd picked up from Tesco on the way in etc. It just seemed to complicate matters rather as they drowned in unnecessary stuff. A small suitcase seems reserved in comparison.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 05-Aug-11 17:26:45

The only problem is neither of us drive so we aren't able to store the spare longer stay bag in the car. We need to take anything we might need just in case.

My plan for coming home clothes is to travel to hospital in them and take them off as soon as I get there, put them in my bag ready to come home in. Ta Da!!

It is really weird that I have actually done this before. I have given birth and gone into hospital to do this task but can;t for the life of me remember it!!

ShowOfHands Fri 05-Aug-11 17:36:55

Just be prepared for the eventuality that your waters might break in the clothes you're wearing en route or you might have a bloody show or you might be so far on that you just about pull your trousers down and the baby's delivered onto your going home clothes.

But if you're going to wear vests/jogging bottoms on the ward, just bung a jumper/cardie in too and you can always wear them home if that happens.

perfumedlife Fri 05-Aug-11 17:40:30

A large bottle of water, straight from the freezer when going to hospital. It was heaven, defrosted slowly and kept my neck and forehead cool.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 05-Aug-11 18:04:19

Oh SOH I forgot about all that! blush Erm I'll take a spare pair of leggings, they roll up small! grin

Perfumed - that is definitely on my list! smile

lolajane2009 Fri 05-Aug-11 18:15:55

breast cream
disinfectant wipes (or is that too ocd)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now