Talk

Advanced search

How are you sleeping at night with a bump? Advice needed!

(10 Posts)
milkyways Thu 04-Aug-11 22:40:30

I'm 17 weeks with my second, and my beautiful bump has just popped about a week ago. I don't remember it hurting or getting uncomfortable like this with my DD (or I might have blocked out that part from my memory!). Everytime I change position during the night I get a horrible pulling sensation in the bottom of my stomach as I lay on my back during rolling over. Does anyone else get that?

What are your secrets to a good night's sleep? At the moment, I am placing a cushion under my bump and kind of lifting my leg over so the bump is fully resting on the cushion. Is it worth getting a body pillow? Or is there any other way to make myself comfortable. When I sleep on my back I also get out of breath very quickly.

SenoritaViva Thu 04-Aug-11 22:44:14

I have a large collection of pillows (just normal bed ones) that I stuff in various positions. I am starting to find at 19 weeks with second that I'm needed a pillow between my knees otherwise it makes my back sore. I keep one pillow on either side so when I roll over there's one for bump. Not necessarily resting it yet but rather hugging the pillow which I find helps?! Possibly it puts my shoulders in a better position. Either that or I've just become incredibly needy. smile

PotteringAlong Thu 04-Aug-11 22:48:02

I got a wedge shaped one for a fiver off amazon which is great! I literally stick it under my bump and that, with a normal pillow between my legs is great.

milkyways Thu 04-Aug-11 22:50:21

Yes! Thank You! I forgot about the pillow between the legs thing! I'll try that tonight and get more pillows out!

BonnyBanks Thu 04-Aug-11 22:50:53

I just used an extra pillow at your stage but as I got bigger ( had twins so was HUGE) I had a Dream Genii suport pillow which goes under bump and between your knees. It is a little pricey but worth it as it was the only way I (or my husband) got any sleep.

fedupanduptheduff Thu 04-Aug-11 22:51:48

I also have a collection of four normal bed pillows. I am currently 33 weeks with my second, and have them arranged so that from my hips upwards, my body is sort of on a 'slope', so my head is the highest. I found that I needed a pillow under the bump from around 20 weeks, and have raised my head more and more recently to stop middle of the night heartburn.

milkyways - I also get pains in the bottom of my belly if I change positions sometimes - I got it last pregnancy too. Very painful sometimes!

senoritaviva - I also hug a cushion! I find it stops my hands getting pins and needles, and it definitely feels better for my shoulders.

milkyways Thu 04-Aug-11 23:01:37

I think I might make a hug pillow too - it sounds more appealing than hugging DH these days!

milkyways Fri 05-Aug-11 08:44:10

Thanks to everyone for the pillow between the legs advice - Did it last night and didn't get that stretchy pain in my lower tummy at all. I think I may be developing SPD early this time.

nannyl Fri 05-Aug-11 08:47:36

i used a wedge thing (nct sale £1) for weeks 14 - 22

then got my dream geni which is FAB. im now 34 weeks and dont think i could sleep without it.

i use my bump wedge on the sofa now, or behind back during longer car journeys

Mum2be79 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:31:30

Suffering too!

I'm getting a dream geni but recently when I get up, my back is so sore and stiff, that for a few minutes I'm doubled over unable to walk! It doesn't stop me moving about in bed though.

Will this get worse or is it a minor 'stretching' thing that will pass? I'm 18 weeks and 5 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now