Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cyclizine for sickness

(14 Posts)
babycarmen Thu 04-Aug-11 21:42:09

Has anyone had experience with this and did it help? Im 13 weeks and Ive been prescribed it today for a week and if im still being sick im being admitted into hospital sad Really hoping people say it works!

Mollyfloss Thu 04-Aug-11 21:50:38

Yep, I took it from week 10 to about wk 14 or 15 during this my 3rd pg. I was in a terrible state and it definitely helped with the nausea and throwing up. I still felt wrecked but not wretching all the time was such an improvement as you can imagine. It took a couple of days to work though and I think it made me a bit drowsy although it's hard to tell as I was so tired anyway. There is another very safe drug that doesn't make you drowsy. I have an excellent OB by the way and made absolutely sure that taking medication was safe and she reassured me.

tory79 Thu 04-Aug-11 22:41:39

Yes I had this and it really helped! Not sure I would have made it through the first trimester without it!

nannyl Thu 04-Aug-11 22:54:29

i had these from 8 weeks....

still ended up in hospital though.

i recommend taking it at 8 hour intervals and lieing completely still in the dark for an hour, and JUST breathing. I took mine at 11pm, 3pm and 7am.

i think it must have helped... im now nearly 35 weeks and still on 2 a day, but without them im certain id have been much much worse.

Hope u feel better soon.

feekerry Fri 05-Aug-11 08:37:16

Hi. Yep i'm on it now after being admitted to hospital. I'm 7 weeks at present. Its helped me lots. Prob took a couple of days to really kick in but now only sick 2-4 times a day and have reasonable periods when I dont feel sick at all. Still feel pretty weak and not eating much but its def helped. X

m1nn1em0u5e Fri 05-Aug-11 09:11:54

Hi, yes im on this, it certainly reduces the vomiting although I still feel nauseaus most of the time. It did make me really drowsy for a few days, but I seemed to tolerate it better after a few days, my alternative was hospital on a drip, as I had high ketones, so I think this was the better option!

BikeRunSki Fri 05-Aug-11 09:25:32

I did, in first trimester in both pg. Still ended up in hospital for several weeks both pg with hyperemisis, but cyclizine made it bearable. Hospital gave me IV cycline which was very good, but I found rather trippy.

babycarmen Fri 05-Aug-11 10:09:04

thanks everyone hopefully i wont have to go to hospital :/

QueenofDreams Fri 05-Aug-11 10:12:01

I had it as well. I had to go into hospital first though because I was so dehydrated. Dehydration makes you feel worse, so I found that it only really helped after being in hospital and getting back on an even keel, then cyclizine kept me a bit better.

I didn't stop the sickness 100% but it was a big improvement!

Eviepoo Fri 05-Aug-11 11:41:13

I couldn't have got through this PG without it....38 weeks in and still taking it.

BarbiesBeaver Fri 05-Aug-11 12:03:25

I had it for a few weeks this pregnancy - it worked quite well to begin with although I did feel quite spaced out and dizzy on it. After a few weeks it stopped being so effective so tried Stemetil instead which worked much better. It's important to go back to your GP if the medication stops working or isn't right for you - there may be other things you can try which will suit you better. Hope you feel better soon.

fluffywhitekittens Fri 05-Aug-11 20:29:00

I react really badly to it. There are other options but hopefully it will work for you.
Come join us on the hyperemesis thread if you want support or just to moan about how I'll you feel smile
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1238825-Hyperemesis-Support

fluffywhitekittens Fri 05-Aug-11 20:30:00

Ill not I'll - ahhh auto correct

babycarmen Fri 05-Aug-11 20:41:18

Thanks il pop over and say hi :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now