Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are second births "easier" than the first?

(38 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Thu 04-Aug-11 21:10:12

I'm expecting my second in November, and just wondered about the experiences of those of you who have two or more children. How were the subsequent births compared to the first?

Dare I hope that the next one will be easier?

allthefires Thu 04-Aug-11 21:14:52

Interested in this too. Praying answer is yes!

YouDoTheMath Thu 04-Aug-11 21:19:54

Keep everything crossed, allthefires smile

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 21:22:40

mine was easier yes, despite my baby being bigger and back to back!

my third was even easier than the first 2

Chicksy Thu 04-Aug-11 21:25:02

I have had 3 DC and my second labour was definitely the easiest. First baby was 11 days late so I was induced. It was just horrible.
My second labour started on my due date, contractions so much more manageable than first time and a shorter labour. It was a calmer and nicer experience than the first and I felt more in control than first time round.

Unfortunately DC 3 was an experience similar to the first and I was gutted my birth 3rd time wasnt more like the second.

Good luck with No 2

Ringosbaby Thu 04-Aug-11 21:25:54

My 2nd was much easier, it was very quick but the main thing I found was that I was much more able to cope with the pain.

Kind of a 'Oh. I remember this' feeling! I felt a lot more focused on the task in hand, and much more in control. Didn't need any pain relief, but I think that was more to do with the speed. If it had gone on longer then I probably would've had some gas as i did for the stitches!

3rd was so horrendously quick that he was born at the hospital reception, 1/2 hr after I felt the first contraction. Easy birth yes, but I was in shock for days afterwards and so was he!

IsSamNormansDad Thu 04-Aug-11 21:26:51

IME yes, with DS (now 3.6), I was induced because of pre-eclampsia, ended with a ventouse, 2nd deg tear, stitches, 4 days in hosp and DS required resuscitation TWICE!
With DD (20 weeks), contractions started 2pm on Thurs, arrived at hospital 7pm, was 6cm, got G&A & morphine, had DD at 130am Fri, no tear, no stitches and discharged at 830am Fri. Went home, had shower and bathed DD, then went to Tesco and got big weekly shop with DH & DD (DS was at ILs).
Piece of piss the second time! smile I'm sure it was because I was less stressed and knew what to expect. Also, I found the MWs listened to me more this time, presumably because it was baby no2.
Good luck!

IsSamNormansDad Thu 04-Aug-11 21:27:51

Should add that both DC were delivered back to back!

Arion Thu 04-Aug-11 21:29:10

1st birth, induced 14 days overdue (refused to be induced at day 12, left it as long as I could). Horrendously painful (for me, I know others who have had the drip and been fine). Epidural, episiotomy, forceps, blood pressure dropped to 70/30 (usually something like 120/90 I think!), day on high dependancy ward. Couldn't roll from my back to my side during night as I was in so much pain with bruising below. Decided to stay in next night as well as couldn't see how I would get upstairs as in so much pain. DD then got jaundice, I went in Mon eve, didn't get out till Sat (and hardly any sleep as there was always a baby crying!

2nd birth, came on his own 7 days overdue (8lbs 13 so not tiny). Home birth, took hours to believe I was in labour as wasn't really painful. Only started to 'heat up' a bit right near the end when I was getting to transition (was told it was about an hour but in memory only seemed like a few contractions that were anything like the induced ones - as in I needed to moan and really focus on getting through them/ needed a hand to hold)! Minimal tearing, went food shopping the next day after midwife visit!

1st birth, over 4 months before DH was allowed anywhere near me, 2nd birth, jumped on him after 4 weeks! shock

So yes, I guess you could say 2nd births can be easier!!! grin

InNeedOfCoffee Thu 04-Aug-11 21:29:42

My second was easier, but my first was induced and my second was not so i dont know if that made a difference.

First established labour for 16 hours (27 from staring induction), pain reliief was needed (pethadine and g+a) and had episiotomy.

Second established labour for 4 hours, no pain relief (at home) 2nd degree tear but i declined stitches, recovered much faster.

pozzled Thu 04-Aug-11 21:51:36

My second was much easier, the first was a lon, drawn-out affair leaving me utterly exhausted and not pushing effectively. With DD2 it was much quicker. The contractions did feel more painful, but I think that was due to the lack of pain relief- I was too relaxed about getting to hospital and left it a bit late, so the car journey was pretty horrible.

apple99 Thu 04-Aug-11 22:24:23

This is good to read, am due dc2 in 2 weeks and have been really worrying about the birth this time. I am liking all the 2nd time easier replies smile

TheBreastmilksOnMe Thu 04-Aug-11 22:53:10

My 1st was 48hours from start to finish. Back-to-back and emergency c-sect.

My 2nd was 30hours start to finish. VBAC 2nd degree tear. 1hr pushing.

So both very long labours, very hard and very painful. I wouldn't say number two was easier. Just different.

PinkSchmoo Fri 05-Aug-11 05:21:01

DD was spontaneous labour, arrived at hospital 9 c dilated after labouring at home for 12 hours. 8 hours later, failed ventouse, forceps, episiotomy et voila.

DS was induced. Wee gel. Arm. Some manageable contractions. Hour of intense contractions with g&a begging for epidural. Hour of pushing. Baby.

Second so much easier.

Good luck!

m1nn1em0u5e Fri 05-Aug-11 09:15:43

Definitely! My first was induced, long back to back labour with epidural, 8lb baby, stitches.

Second son was born an hour after I arrived at hospital!..8lb 13oz, no stitches, 3 pushes & he was here!...was back home for tea time & to put DS1 to bed!

Pregnant with number 3 now....hope I have the same experience again!

Good Luck x

x2boys Fri 05-Aug-11 11:32:12

I,m afraid mine wasent first birth had to be induced as waters broke spontaneously but didnt dilate second had to be induced as was twelve days overdue baby back to back had to be delivered by ventouse after seventeen hrs in delivery suite but speakimng tomost of my friends second labours generally easier hope i,m the exception rather than rule

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 05-Aug-11 11:35:24

Wondering this too. Labour with DD was 4 hours (induction). I don't know if that counts IYSWIM. Obviously induction or not I've pushed a baby out so the fanjo stretching bit should be easier, but will it be faster? smile

emmanumber3 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:44:41

The idea is that the first birth "paves the way" for any subsequent babies, therefore making the births a bit easier. That's the theory anyway grin.

Both my DSs were inductions - DS1 took 21 hours of torturous labour to arrive & DS2 took 8.5 hours (not comfortable but certainly not as bad as DS1). DC3 is imminent (later today would be good if you're listening baby grin), so am hoping for a better labour still this time. Fingers crossed xx

MrsRhettButler Fri 05-Aug-11 11:53:25

I've got a 6 year gap between my first and second (due in 4 weeks) do you think I've 'tightened up' again and it will be just like the first time again?
Surely the first only 'paves the way' if you don't leave it too long between births?
Has anyone had an easier second birth after so long a time?

emmanumber3 Fri 05-Aug-11 23:52:53

Good question MrsRhett. I have a 10 year age gap between DS2 & the imminent DC3 & am hoping so! The only way I can answer is from what other people have told me. There is an 8 year age gap between myself & my sister - my birth was easier than hers apparently. A friend with a 9 year age gap between her DS2 & DD had a short 3.5 hr labour with her DD, following on from a 12 hour labour with the DS2. Finally, my BF has an 11 year age gap between DD1 & DD2 - DD2 arrived 45 mins after the first contraction.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people who can tell you how their DC2, 3, 4 etc. took longer to arrive than DC1 but I prefer to concentrate on the positive stories I have mentioned grin.

Eviepoo Sat 06-Aug-11 06:18:36

hopefully I'll tell you soon, I have been having BH all week. Last night I was convinced things were starting but no. But I haven't slept well at all and I have a feeling it could be soon.
My mum and sister defo had easier second ones - but they had 2.5 and 3 year gaps.
My mum DD1 = 6 hours, DD2 = me 2 hours 7 minutes - (from induction!!!!) DD3 = 5.5 hours (and as cord was round her neck by far the most troublesome mum said). My sis 36 hours of pain with DS1, then just a couple of months ago DS2 = 7 hours with no pain relief).

I'm wondering of my almost 12 year gap will make a difference...but I don't think in the grand scheme of things DD wasn't too bad. Woke 7.30am thinking it is today. Put on TENS at 10am as having very mild backache contractions about 30 minutes apart. Spent the day as normal. 5pm had tea. Had bath 6.45pm. Contractions 5 minutes apart and started to get painful. 7.45pm was in the car on way to hospital - painful contractions every 2.5 minutes. was 4cm when got there. Show came. Had diamorphine. Dozed in between contractions. 11.30pm went into transition. around midnight they asked me to do tiny pushes to try break waters...they broke them for me at 12.30am - DD born at 12.43am. Small tear just a few stitches.

If my second goes as straight forward as that I can't complain, my MW thinks I will have a similar experience except she thinks it will take half the time.

FessaEst Sat 06-Aug-11 07:16:34

I've just had DD2, and the second labour was by far easier. I've been lucky to have positive experiences both times, but much preferred my second.

First, fairly straightforward vaginal birth but still hard going, was in latent labour for days, slow dilation etc. Was frightened by the pain from the off, maniacally pressed my TENS buttons and used multiple cans of G&A!

Second, first niggly contraction 20.45, not at all difficult until nearly midnight, DD2 born just after 1am. I found the contractions almost easy to cope with, as I knew exactly what was happening and how it would feel and that it would end. I didn't use any pain relief (except warm water) and didn't feel scared or panicky at all. Even though it was quick, I found that helped as I knew it was going to end soon.

ImBrian Sat 06-Aug-11 10:27:34

I had a 5 year age gap between dd1 and 2. DD1 was 9 hours established labor and an hour and a half pushing. Was very scared through out and tore quite badly. Found the whole experience horrible even though it was very straight forward.

DD2 went to hospital and was 5 cm gave birth 1 hour and 45 mins later after 2 pushes was lovely.

DD3 waters went with no labour so was induced, had epidural and ended up in theatre with a ventouse. Was not in established labour for more then a couple of hours but couldn't push as contractions stopped.

I'm now pregnant with DD4 but not sure how this one will go, would love it if it was like DD2s birth.

MrsRhettButler Sat 06-Aug-11 18:44:48

Ooooh so it seems I could be in for an easier time then!
I had to be induced by drip with dd as my waters broke but no contractions, 9 hour labour, took ages to get to 3cm. To quote one of the midwives my cervix must be 'made of concrete' hmm had an epidural and then very quickly went to ten cm pushed for about 40 mins and dd was out no tearing, so not a bad birth just didn't want to be induced and didn't want epidural but hey ho.

Poweredbypepsi Sat 06-Aug-11 18:57:24

second was much easier than the first but so far the worst of all has been number 4. It still wasnt an awful birth but was the ones of the ones I have had. Just seemed to be more panicked and the contractions seemed to meld into one long contraction for half an hour rather than having gaps. Only thing that was different was that she was really tangled in the cord (round her neck and waist and under one of her arms - yes people did comment on how long it was). Probably didnt make a difference but it is the only thing that has changed through the births that I can think would affect it!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now