Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really struggling with extra weight in pregnancy - "apron under tummy"?!

(11 Posts)
emsies Thu 04-Aug-11 21:09:22

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and am overweight by a couple of stone.

I was very overweight with my first and after a caesarean I had quite a lot of flabby flesh that hung a bit over my scar but I assumed when I lost weight it would be ok.

Now however I have a very pregnant bump (with extra padding sad ) and under that its almost like a separate limb which must be just flab. It's horrid. I have to tuck it into pants/jeans. Can't wear skirts. Hate it so much.

Any ideas about it? I'm getting paranoid I ought to wear a "bra" over it of some description so it doesn't "hang" and get saggy sad

Anything I can do to help it go after the birth? Help?!

Crosshair Thu 04-Aug-11 21:23:14

Sounds like the sort of thing you need surgery for(just me guessing), my mum couldn't shift her odd c-section tummy. Maybe ask your doctor?

notlettingthefearshow Thu 04-Aug-11 23:25:06

I really feel for you - what a shame after you did so well to lose weight.

I'm sure a midwife or other healthy professional can give you advice in what must be a common situation for many women, so don't feel shy about asking them.

I would try exercise after the birth to focus on stomach muscles - get a trainer at your gym to advise you about a plan. Look into slothing solutions to help you feel more confident - there are some amazing clothes around now to deal with all sorts of bodily 'imperfections'. Give it a few months and if you don't see an improvement, speak to a doctor. The most drastic and expensive step would be surgery, but it may be more standard / affordable than you think. Depending on how strongly you feel, this may be an option.

One more thing - it may really not be as bad as you think! You may feel a lot more self conscious now because you're pregnant. See how you feel after the birth - giving yourself chance to get back into shape, of course. Good luck!

emsies Fri 05-Aug-11 07:58:49

Thanks for the replies. Sadly surgery is highly unlikely to be an option (not exactly life threatening so I doubt nhs would pay and I'm likely to be a broke sahm for at least a few years!).

Its got worse/more obvious during pregnancy where it looks distinct from my "bump". Maybe it will improve after pregnancy and when I lose weight afterwards... I could have done with losing another 2 stone before I got pregnant but it kind of accidently happened earlier than planned! sigh. At least if I do end up with excess skin (surely the fat will go with diet/exercise? *worried look*) then it will have been in a good cause. I'm more worried the lump of fat won't go.

I've been goggling and seen it called a "mothers apron". Sigh.

AlpinePony Fri 05-Aug-11 08:15:00

I was very overweight once and left with an apron. No amount of 'gym' in the world gets rid of loose skin and unfortunately fat can remain in localized pockets. sad I had a tt, and will probably have a touch of lipo once I'm done with the babies.

emsies Fri 05-Aug-11 09:12:32

Alpine Pony - that's what I was thinking might be the case. The extra tummy under my "bump" does seem to have its only pocket of fat. :

Poo. sad I'm going to have to learn to lump it aren't I!

AlpinePony Fri 05-Aug-11 09:17:03

Yep. sad Either going to have to go down the surgery route when you're working again or buy giant, ugly pants. sad

Crosshair Fri 05-Aug-11 11:18:03

I would still consult your doctor after birth if its effecting your self esteem and making you sad. I thought some people could get cosmetic work on the nhs if it effects their lifes.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

benne81 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:12:24

I know in the past they used to do 'apronectomys' on the NHS. It may be slightly more difficult to get today in this financial climate but if you can put a case forward for psychological distress it may get funded.

emsies Fri 05-Aug-11 13:29:33

It should be less than it is at the moment though (I hope) as presumably all the fat has been pushed down by the baby, and I am carrying extra weight that I plan to lose... so it might not seem as bad then. Maybe.

Thanks for the advice smile

emsies Fri 05-Aug-11 13:29:58

I'm doing all I can to avoid a c section again this time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now