Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Last minute panics

(4 Posts)
MrsMooky Thu 04-Aug-11 20:26:11

I'm 39 weeks so I guess its a bit late to change my mind but I keep having big last minute panics over the fact that in a couple of weeks time, I'm going to have a baby. I'm not worried about the birth - call me naive! - but its the idea of how much this is going to completely and irrevocably change my life. Plus will I love the baby enough, will I be any good at being a mum, have I done the right thing. My husband is being really great and totally reassuring but I don't think he gets how much I am freaking out over this. I keep imagining being given my baby and just thinking, wtf do I do now?! Please someone reassure me that I'm not the only one to feel like this at this stage and it doesn't mean I am going to be crap at this...

NigellaLawless Thu 04-Aug-11 20:45:06

I am sure that you will be just fine and that you will adore your baby and be a fantastic mother. Its great that you have a really understanding partner who can support you through this too!

I am 35+5 and spent the first part of this week freaking out, and 2 whole days crying about the fact that whilst I desperately want and totally planned this baby my life will never be the same again. My biggest fear is losing my self into motherhood and never being able to do any of the things I love again this makes me worry that I will be resentful about the baby and then I just go totally off the deep end and think I will be unhappy for the rest of my life and my baby will hate me for making him unhappy too!!!!

But then I woke up this morning and felt like all my worries had gone, just as quickly as they came. I am guessing/hoping this is all just normal last minute jitters, made worse by tiredness and hormones.

Dunno if that helps you at allo, but I know it helped me to read your post and think 'well at least I'm not the only one!'

PrincessJenga Thu 04-Aug-11 20:45:08

Totally normal (I hope!) I feel exactly the same. I can't wait to meet my baby, but I'm terrified that I'll be a crap mum and keep thinking 'we won't be able to do this in future' whenever we go out for dinner / go to the cinema etc.

Listen to your husband. He knows you well and trusts you to be a brilliant mum to your new baby.

mummy22gorgeousboys Thu 04-Aug-11 20:45:53

Well, firstly I would like to say that the fact that you are worrying about how you are going to be with your baby and what to do, shows that you care and I'm sure you'll be a great mum. At least you're being realistic.

I think all first timers go through this phase - I certainly did. I didn't grow up with my mum so I was really worried that I wouldn't know how to be a mum as well as what you wrote above. I can assure you it just comes to you naturally.

It's certainly a shock to the system with your first and it takes time to get used to having to put someone else before any decision you make - even little ones. Like, what time would be best to go shopping. And it takes a while to get used to your house being like a hurricane of baby stuff, going out anywhere is like a military operation with a new baby, and the tiredness can be an absolute test of any marriage!

Every baby is different and likes to be held, sleep, fed in different ways, but you will know your baby best within a couple of days and it will stay that way forever.

However, all babies are magical and so special all the tiredness, mess and lack of time to do anything like you used to are all worth it. Don't worry too much about when baby is here, enjoy the time you have as a couple now and pamper yourself rotten. I promise you, you'll be lucky to find the time to paint your toenails after the baby is born - you'll be grateful to go out with matching socks on - so make the most of your time now.

All the best
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now