Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best Knickers

(13 Posts)
Franchini Thu 04-Aug-11 12:47:45

Please help, What are the best knickers to get for after birth. I'm not going to get the disposable ones, going to buy a cheapie pack from Tesco etc, but need to know sizing and the best type.
I am a size 14 now and I'm just wearing normal pants under the bump!

Thanks v much (1st time mum and all that!)

Pippaandpolly Thu 04-Aug-11 12:59:07

I'm also a size 14 normally - I went to M&S and got a cheapie pack of 'full briefs' in a size 24 as midwife recommended getting ones that would go over the remaining bump and also take a maternity pad. They come up to my armpits grin

AchtungBaby Thu 04-Aug-11 13:02:30

I bought a multipack of low rise shorts from M+S, but only because this is what I usually wear. Actually, I just took the ones that I'd already been wearing during my pregnancy IIRC.

I think that you're right to avoid disposable ones grin!

LisMcA Thu 04-Aug-11 13:06:41

I bought one size bigger in Sainsbos, but had a section and needed proper granny pants so bought a size 24. and buy in black so you are not confronted with the ...erm... secretions as much when youdo the washing! Also DHs boxer shorts were quite comfortable too, but not great at holding the mat pad grin

ShowOfHands Thu 04-Aug-11 13:07:55

I bought Primark cheap granny pants. Something like £2 for a pack of 4. I'm a size 10 and bought two packs, one in a size 12 and one in a 14. They were soooooooo comfortable. Easily pleased me.

I'm glad I went for the pull up to your armpits ones as I had an emcs and normal knickers went neatly up to the scar and dug right in.

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 04-Aug-11 13:54:56

Yep, big multipack of granny pants! 5 for £5 from M&S.

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 04-Aug-11 13:55:26

And definitely black, not white!!

Cattleprod Thu 04-Aug-11 14:04:47

In your case, I'd get size 16 black applecatchers.

Don't go mad and get 3 sizes too big like I did - the weight and size of the maternity pads will drag them down and you'll be forever hoisting them up!

Franchini Fri 05-Aug-11 13:03:59

Thanks girls x x

Franchini Tue 09-Aug-11 10:40:51

Just to let you all know for reference - I bought size 16 granny pants from sainsbury's £6 for five pairs and they fit me fine now (28 weeks), so thinking they will be fine once the baby has arrived!

Skarlett Tue 09-Aug-11 12:09:04

Surprisingly useful thread!! Have been wondering what to do about this. Thank you all for helpful comments smile

thegingerone Wed 10-Aug-11 21:13:11

MASSIVE knickers was my BIG revelation of giving birth 8 years ago. For the first couple of days I wore disposable knickers under big granny pants (up to the armpits) It made me feel more "secure" wearing my mat pads. I then stopped using the dispos-i-knickers. Go up a size or two. I think I remember find the high waistband quite comforting to stop my newly emptied (and weirdly wobbly) bump from being too jelly like. Good luck!! I'll be re joining the Big pants gang in Nov.

Catsycat Wed 10-Aug-11 21:31:39

I had Tesco "Full Briefs" (granny knickers) in a size 18 - I am normally a 16-18. They were huuuuuuge, easily holding my post-emcs belly and a mighty maternity breezeblock pad, still enough fabric to virtually tuck into my bra! DH bought them, and they were a variety of scary pastel shades / patterns (would have preferred black <sighs>) but am pleased to report minimal scary leakage and excellent results from washing in only Ecover non-bio! The same terrifying knickers served me well during my second pg as well. Much nicer than paper ones (though in hospital they did give me some weird stretchy net ones at first, which were certainly well ventilated). Ah, the joys of pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now