Advanced search

Tax credits/ child benefit etc

(6 Posts)
Sargesaweyes Thu 04-Aug-11 10:57:12

I know this will have been done a million times but just moved house and not got Internet for 2 weeks and phone Internet very slow when searching. Anyway baby due in 3 weeks and wondering how and when you apply for these different things. Both partner and I have pretty average salaries so not going to get much but really worried about when maternity goes to £512 a month that we get everything we possibly can to manage. Have been on website previously but got confused quite quickly. Any help very grateful for smile

LawrieMarlow Thu 04-Aug-11 10:59:48

You need to get a birth certificate before you can apply for child benefit. But it will be backdated (up to three months I think). For child tax credits I think you need child benefit first although you may be able to apply for them both at the same time. But definitely need the birth certificate first.

Hope you have a good rest of pregnancy and birth smile

Sargesaweyes Thu 04-Aug-11 11:07:17

Thanks. Very exciting but also have started worrying about all of the things like money and securit and have started creating ridiculous what if scenarios in my head-bloody hormones! I had a feeling it was after birth but knew that if I didn't check I would have missed out on some vital form I should be filling out now.

lolajane2009 Thu 04-Aug-11 14:47:48

i think theres a form in your post birth bounty pack

CBear6 Thu 04-Aug-11 20:38:17

There's a form for Child Benefit in the Bounty pack, you fill it in and send it back once you have the birth certificate. For Tax Credits you need your Child Benefit number for them to process your claim but you can ring up and get the forms once the baby is born and send them back without the number, just attach a note saying that your Child Benefit claim is processing so you don't have a number yet, that Child Benefit have the birth certificate, and (very important) you want your claim to be dated from your baby's date of birth (this will make sure you get your backdating).

allthefires Thu 04-Aug-11 21:11:44

As all the above plus make sure you do claim within 3 months to get backdating to date of birth.

Have a look at for a calculator to make sure you are claiming for correct help.

Also tax credits goes on previous tax year income but you can also give an estimate of this years income. You can deduct £100 per week for each week of smp in the current tax year from that income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now