Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton Hicks at 24 weeks - anyone else??

(9 Posts)
outthere Thu 04-Aug-11 10:12:29

Hi all,

Not sure if they are BH or not... my stomach suddenly feels tight and when I touch it it feels hard but only on a portion of my bump, usually low down. It feels just like baby's stretching and pressing his back outwards if that makes any sense.

They're quite uncomfortable and when I touch my bump to see if it feels hard it really hurts sad...

Can't help worrying a bit as this is the stage it started going horribly wrong with my boys (obviously a totally different story though as it was a twin pg). I ended up having regular and painful contractions every night for 10 weeks before they were finally born at 33 weeks.

Would love to hear from someone who's also having BH this early to help reassure me that it's normal!!

icravecheese Thu 04-Aug-11 10:28:34

I'm 30wks preg with my 3rd baby, I defintely had braxton hicks at 24wks with this preg - we were on hols at the time, and my bump went really hard & tight every time I walked anywhere. In fact, it probably started before 24 wks to be honest. I don't remember when I got braxton hicks in previous pregs, but defo been getting them from around 22-24wks this time. HTH! x

hayesgirl Thu 04-Aug-11 10:31:34

I got BH at about 22 - 24 weeks for a few days, usually when I was walking about. After 24 weeks they stopped tho and I've had none since - I'm due next week!

pinkpeony Thu 04-Aug-11 10:33:25

With DC2 I got BH starting around 22-24 weeks, and kept getting them throughout the rest of my pregnancy. With subsequent pregnancies, they start earlier.

Merinda Thu 04-Aug-11 10:35:38

Oh, so that's what it was! I am 22 wks, and yesterday had this strange tightening all day, when I was walking about. Could not figure out what was happening...

icravecheese Thu 04-Aug-11 10:39:13

yep merinda, it is a wierd feeling isnt it?! Even though this is my 3rd preg, I still spent several days wondering what on earth was going on with my bump & why it was so damn hard all the time....you'd think i'd recognise braxton hicks by now, but they still took me by surprise until I figured what was going on!!

Also agree with hayesgirl - my braxton hicks seemed to have stopped for the time being too... I got them really strong at 22-24 weeks until about 28 wks, but not much since then...

yummymango Thu 04-Aug-11 10:44:17

Hi outthere, I have been having the exact same things since early in the second trimester and was definitely having them now and again at 24 weeks. I am now 32 weeks and get them throughout the day and they are rather uncomfortable and more frequent but not exactly painful. It's exactly as you describe though, the bump goes tight and feels hard at the bottom. Strange feeling hey.

outthere Thu 04-Aug-11 15:40:55

Hi all, it's so nice to hear the reassurance. I had a threatened labour at 23 weeks with my twins (lots of bleeding and contractions which saw me in hosp for a week) and then had constant BH thereafter so I've always worried it was some sort of constant threatened labour.

I've been worrying that my uterus just objects to being pregnant but it's lovely and reassuring to know that it can be part of a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy - thanks again! x

thegingerone Thu 04-Aug-11 16:38:00

I've been having BHs this week (i'm 25 weeks) Had a hectic week of walking around wildlife parks,etc on hol last week. Also had a bit of a tummy bug and (TMI) my libido came back so have been "friendly" blushwith my DH for the first time in ages. Apparanetly sex can make you have BH for your info!

This is baby #3 for us. I don't remember having BH this early in prev pg but did read last time that BH are happening all the time but you start to feel them earlier in later pgs. I'll add the usual Mumsnet pg thread disclaimer...if you're worried speak to your midwife, but it sounds normal to me!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now