Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why am I scared of giving birth?

(9 Posts)
del1 Wed 03-Aug-11 20:38:03

I am really nervous this time about giving birth!

I have 2 DC's, aged 2 1/2 years and 1 year old.
Both were great pregnancies, I was really chilled about the whole thing, and had quick straight forward births.
I had no complications, stitches or anything. And I strangely enjoyed both of them shock

But I am 35+3 on number 3.
I am really nervous this time, and actually dreading it, It's like I feel something is going to go wrong?

Not sure if it's because I've been so lucky with the other 2 - that I feel it's my turn for a bad experience?

Or if it's because I know 5 people in the past month that have had bad births, and problems with the baby?

Can I have some reassurance please, as I find myself thinking about all the bad things that could go wrong! confused

Snuppeline Wed 03-Aug-11 20:41:20

Its only human to worry. It may very well be that the others bad experience has affected you. While your pregant your dreams are more vivid so maybe you have dreamt something bad happening? Just ensure that your midwife, consultant, gp (whoever you are under the care of) are happy with your pregnancy and the lie of the baby. Otherwise just keep healthy so your fit and ready for the birth. Leave the rest to nature and try to stop worrying - you'll be fine.

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 03-Aug-11 20:41:45

I was my most nervous on number 3. I kind of felt like it was my turn for something to go wrong and what really was wrong I think was that I just had so much more realisation and experience from others of what could go wrong.

In reality? Popped in for antenatal appointment at hospital (overdue). Had argument with midwife about whether I was in labour or not - she said yes I said no blush. Sat and sulked for half an hour then less than two hours of walking in pushed a baby out in two pushes grin

There might have been a bit of swearing in between but that was essentially it! Home two hours later...

Nagini Wed 03-Aug-11 20:41:56

it's because of the people that you know, I'll bet.

Don't think about the birth, think about the baby 'coming out' and it'll refocus your mind from the process to the result smile

lucindapie Thu 04-Aug-11 03:33:46

I'm studying hypnosis for childbirth, and my teacher told me to try to avoid listening to other people's negative birth stories, as they can lead us to get scared about our own. It might be hard to do when it's your friends though! Maybe you could try a hypnosis cd. just to chill out, and think positively about the birth, or read something positive about natural birth, also just try not to worry, if this is your 3rd it could be even easier than last time!

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Thu 04-Aug-11 04:06:51

Pmsl @ peppa

op this is my second and I'm am scared shitless tbh. I'm scared about getting through the next 4 weeks, about the birth and about how the he'll I will cope afterwards. In the flashes of calm that I do have, I tell myself it's because of the very crappy time I've had just before and throughout being pg. Most of the time I am waiting for something bad to happen.

You've heard some horrible stories but the fact is it has no bearing on what will happen to you. You have a fab history and the chances are you will not have any problems. Surely after 5 crappy birth stories it's time for a good one wink

Thumbwitch Thu 04-Aug-11 04:14:29

If it's really getting you down, you could try hypnobirthing. I had terrible Birth Fear with DS but that was my first and the hypnobirthing really did help, took the Fear right away (until I went overdue, when I needed a top up session to cope with the Induction Fear!) I was fine, DS was fine and you will be too - but the hypnosis can help you.

Restrainedrabbit Thu 04-Aug-11 04:15:57

I have three dcs and was the most nervous about no. 3 smile I had had two easy births and thought my luck was up! Turned out no. 3 was even easier and quicker than the first two grin

Dd1 28hrs in labour, 50 mins pushing
DS 2.5hrs in labour, 5 mins pushing
DD2 1.5hrs in labour, no pushing smile

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 04-Aug-11 05:44:52

i second (third?) hypnosis. I'm using the natal hypnotherapy cd in preperation for dc2 and it's really relaxing.

Also read something that treats birth as a normal process, like ina may's guide to childbirth.

I'm much more aware of things that can go wrong this time...comes with knowing more mums...bigger sample size equals more problems. Doesn't mean they are more likely to happen to you though. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now