Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When do I worry about movements?

(7 Posts)
banana87 Wed 03-Aug-11 17:47:55

I am 24+1. The past few days baby has been quite active. Today she is very quiet, though I have felt her down low so know she must have moved. I've just laid on my right side for 10 minutes and nothing. Have checked the hb with the Doppler and seems fine. I know I have an anterior placenta. Should I worry or at what point should I worry?

banana87 Wed 03-Aug-11 17:48:33

Meant left side!

allthefires Wed 03-Aug-11 17:55:53

I have had this today.

Lay down for an hour- nothing!!!

Then when I sat up kick kick

Try an ice cold drink or ice cream.

If still nothing ring midwife for advice.

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 17:56:49

If you are ever at all worried then you must get it checked out. A home doppler is absolutely no substitute for antenatal care and what they look for with the hb is not just its presence but its precise behaviour.

BUT please be reassured that at 24 weeks, particularly with an anterior placenta, it's very common for the baby to move low down into the pelvis or behind the placenta and for you to not feel much at all. You should be counting movements from 28 weeks. But as I said, as normal as this, it is something that a midwife should be telling you, not an internet sprite.

nannyl Wed 03-Aug-11 17:57:45

my midwife told me that i only need to count the kicks from 28 weeks.

She also said if worried to drink a pint of ICE COLD water and lie still for 2 hours, and only then worry call hospital.

If you are worried call midwife / hospital etc, but they might just tell you to do the above! smile

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 17:58:17

My midwife said never to do the ice cold drink, lie down thing. Just see your midwife when concerned. 99/100 it's nothing but if it ever is something, lying down for an hour drinking cold pepsi is an utter waste of precious time.

banana87 Wed 03-Aug-11 20:22:29

Thanks ladies. I had a good dinner (hadn't eaten much at all today) and baby then had a good boogie (no laying down required!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now