Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Salmonella around conception: help!

(7 Posts)
MockCroc Wed 03-Aug-11 13:38:49

Anyone know anything about this? I have just had a positive test today putting me at 2-3 weeks pregnant (my period would have been due on 5 August), which is great, but I had food poisoning last week, which is suspected to have been salmonella (someone else at the dinner was hospitalised and tested). Now I am panicking that this might harm the foetus. I am sorting out going to see the GP but this is pretty unusual circumstances and I was wondering whether anyone knew anytning about this...? Thanks! MC

pinkpeony Wed 03-Aug-11 16:08:26

See the GP, but I don't think the foetus is connected to your blood supply this early on (would have been just around implantation) so shouldn't cause any harm. Only risk might be if you were violently throwing up / having stomach contractions. Good luck and hope all goes well.

KateeTheBump Wed 03-Aug-11 16:09:42

At this stage the foetus is getting all it needs from the gestational sac, so I think at these early days you should be alright. You were probably just implanting at that point! Congratulations on your BFP smile

KateeTheBump Wed 03-Aug-11 16:10:01

XP!

MrsBakerNeeld Wed 03-Aug-11 16:11:29

MockCroc, I agree with the other ladies. You should be fine as baby is feeding from sac rather than placenta. Just heed all normal sensible advice such as keeping well hydrated etc and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Congrats!

banana87 Wed 03-Aug-11 20:26:26

I think you will be ok, but obviously check with the GP. My SIL had food poisoning and didn't know she was pregnant, she was about 5 weeks at the time. Everything is fine now!

MockCroc Thu 04-Aug-11 11:16:53

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now