Talk

Advanced search

do I need a full bladder for 12 weeks scan?

(23 Posts)
duzida Wed 03-Aug-11 09:51:15

it's my 2nd pregnancy, and I'm going for 12 week scan tomorrow at UCH in London. there was nothing in the letter to say I needed to do anything special, and I've tried ringing to ask, but have been on hold for 20 mins.

I had vague memory from last time of having to drink loads of water first, but I am not sure - maybe that was for a different, non-pregnancy scan? I feel rubbish anyway with morning sickness, not keen to drink x pints of water, but don't want to lose my appointment either because I haven't done it. anyone know the answer? thank you!

WeLoveHaribo Wed 03-Aug-11 09:53:55

Yes you do, also we had to give wee sample after scan (don't know if same everywhere)
good luck tomoz x

Cheria Wed 03-Aug-11 09:54:23

I don't remember being told to have a full bladder during pregnancy scans. Take a small bottle of water with you and drink up if you need to, but I wouldn't worry too much. I needed a kidney ultrasound once and I needed a full bladder for that, but not during pregnancy.

CBear6 Wed 03-Aug-11 09:54:25

I was specifically told not to have a full bladder, was in bold on the appointment letter.

If you can't get through and you're in doubt have around a half pint of water 30 minutes or so before the appointment. Easier to empty your bladder than fill it.

WeLoveHaribo Wed 03-Aug-11 09:56:05

Mmm advice differs then!!!
Sonographer commented on how i had a nice full bladder smile
Know drinking too much can affect it too as my friend had to go for wee half way through scan!

Crosshair Wed 03-Aug-11 09:58:08

I had to have a full bladder, if the baby is in a crap position they ask you to wee to make it move about.

Ellypoo Wed 03-Aug-11 10:15:15

I had to have a full bladder for my 12-week scan, so I just drank a bottle of water while we were waiting - I couldn't have held it much longer!! Then had to give a sample afterwards too, so it helped for that!!!
A full bladder can help them to see the baby, esp if it is hiding at the back!!!

pozzled Wed 03-Aug-11 10:18:36

They didn't say anything for either of my 12 week scans. Both times I went to the toilet before going in, I would have found it so uncomfortable to sit through the scan needing the toilet! It wasn't a problem at all.

Africagirl1 Wed 03-Aug-11 10:20:38

I was told you only need to if you are overweight

Marrow Wed 03-Aug-11 10:22:37

My letter said that a full bladder is no longer needed.

newartriotstar Wed 03-Aug-11 15:50:28

I had to have a full bladder for mine but was then told to "half empty" it.

Crosshair Wed 03-Aug-11 15:52:26

I had the nuchal btw and she had some trouble getting the baby to go on its back for the measurement. Maybe that has something to do with it? confused

nickelbabe Wed 03-Aug-11 15:53:55

i was at Madway, and we didn't have to have a full bladder.

basically, i would go under the thought that if you do, you can always swig some water...

nickelbabe Wed 03-Aug-11 15:54:10

madway??? confused I meant Medway

MrsBakerNeeld Wed 03-Aug-11 16:00:10

I had to have a full bladder for 12 week scan, but if in doubt I wouldn't consciously aim for a full bladder but not pee too close to scan if that makes sense?

AchtungBaby Wed 03-Aug-11 16:01:40

I was told to have a full bladder, but then the clinic was running really late.

I sent DH to tell them that I had to pee grin, which I did, then I quickly drink lots of water.

AKP79 Wed 03-Aug-11 16:20:48

My letter clearly stipulated that I needed to have a full bladder for the scan, but when I got there I'd drunk so much water I'd squashed the baby with my overfull bladder!! I then had to half empty my bladder, which when you're dying for a pee is impossible! I would definitely suggest drinking a couple of glasses before you go, but don't overfill! As someone else said, you can always empty it when you're there!

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Wed 03-Aug-11 16:35:00

Our letter advises me to drink 1 pint an hour before the scan, which is do-able.

moominliz Wed 03-Aug-11 16:39:24

I had my 12 week scan a week ago and was told on the letter that I needed to drink 1-2 pints of water an hour before the scan

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 16:46:46

I was told to have a full bladder. So I duly drank several glasses of water. And then they were running late. So I asked if I could wee. They said no, just hang on. Two bloody hours later, I was crying with the pain of a v full bladder on top of a swollen uterus. The sonographer said she'd never seen such a full bladder (not sure if I should be proud or ashamed) and sent me out three times to 'let out a bit'. In the end she said just empty it. I weed for about 2 minutes and the scan was easier with an empty bladder. It was painful and in the end, pointless.

Mum2be79 Wed 03-Aug-11 18:28:42

I was told to have a full bladder - now 18 weeks pregnant with DC1 - so I took the advice. My apointment was 30 minutes late and I felt I was going to go into agonising spasm trying to hold it in! I was relieved but cross when after 5 minutes I was told to empty my bladder so they get a better view! I think my bladder restricted baby's movements because afterwards he/she moved a lot!

I think they give you the advice as most women tend to have better scans on full bladders but obviously not everyone has a uterus that sits in the same place as everyone elses!

Just don't drink gallons like I did. A 500ml bottle over an hour is probbaly okay but remember to go to the loo before you start drinking to 'fill' it.

Sandra2011 Wed 03-Aug-11 18:31:51

When I had my private NT scan at 12 weeks I didn't need to have full bladder.

When I went to have my 20 week scan at NHS paper said full bladder but I couldn't hold it and went to loo before scan. I had a bit water before the scan but surely my bladder wasn't full but they didn't complain.

duzida Wed 03-Aug-11 18:50:56

thanks for all the replies! I finally got through to hospital (I actually stayed on hold while writing the OP) and they said 'no, you don't need to'. But I remember now that I WAS told to have a full bladder 2 and a half years ago, and that I had to go for a wee half way through! I'd forgotten that, very painful! So don't entirely trust the receptionist to have it right in this case, and I suppose I'll drink some water on the way in, but not to the point of bladder rupture... confused

I remember that I definitely didn't need to for the 20 week scan, because the baby is much higher up and much bigger by then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now