Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If I'm having a c-section, do I need to test for Strep B?

(8 Posts)
lucysnowe Tue 02-Aug-11 12:24:09

Title says it all really. Am I right in thinking that Strep B can only be transferred to baby through vaginal delivery?

Thanks!

littlemisslozza Tue 02-Aug-11 18:33:38

Yes, but if your waters were to break in advance of the c-section date then it would become relevant. That's what my consultant told me anyway.

BagofHolly Tue 02-Aug-11 20:34:12

My cons said no, because in any event I was having a section.

lucysnowe Tue 02-Aug-11 22:05:36

Thanks guys! My c-section is not till 41 weeks so I am considering paying for teh test anyway...

mrsrvc Wed 03-Aug-11 10:45:04

Yes. I had an ELCS last time and it was put very clearly in notes that due to GBS baby should be on 4 hourly obs after the birth.
All fine thankfully.

moregranny Wed 03-Aug-11 12:28:14

My daughter had an emcs, her waters had been broken by the midwife beforehand, the baby was given antibiotics for 3 days.

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 12:30:47

Have you had it before and fearing a repeat? Or are you thinking about paying for a private test?

I had an emcs and they worried about GBS but only because I'd had a premature rupture of membranes and dd was a bit 'grunty'.

lucysnowe Tue 09-Aug-11 17:35:29

Hi

No I haven't had it before but am feeling that I should do it, just for reassurance. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now