Talk

Advanced search

Uterine rupture in pregnancy.

(12 Posts)
nunnie Tue 02-Aug-11 07:36:48

I have appointment with midwife as 9.15 today so hanging off till then but thought I would ask on here about experience or advice.

I am currently 32 weeks pregnant and have been getting sharp pains when I turn or try to stand (occasionally not every time) mentioned it to hospital midwife at 28 week appointment and was just told it wos likely to be stretching pain.

However this morning I was sitting eating my breakfast which involved no sudden movement and I got a pain in my right side above my previous section scar it was intense but not complete agony and it lasted about 5 minutes but it was enough to make me panic.

I know it is rare but that doesn't stop me worrying. I feel okay now just have a dull ache where the pain was.

Will mention it to my midwife of course but just wanted to know if it can still be stretching pain.

This is my 3rd and I never had pain like this with others.

My bump has dropped significantly over the last couple of weeks so I suppose it could be putting a bit more pressure on my scar, but I am hoping the putting pressure on it isn't really a big concern and I am just worrying for nothing.

Baby movements normal for me. I have a low lying placenta which is to be checked in 2 weeks, never had this before could the pain be related to that?
No bleeding or other signs problems though.

Sorry to waffle but 2 hours is feeling like a lifetime, but I don't want to ring hospital until the midwife has checked me over and thinks it is necessary. Sitting with a 4 year old and a 10 month old in hospital for what could be hours to find out I was being stupid and it was just normal stretching pain or scar pressure doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, however if the midwife says she wants me to get checked out then of course I will irrelevant of the inconvienience.

Thank you if you have made it this far through all my waffle.

juneau Tue 02-Aug-11 07:49:01

I have no experience of this, but my good friend, who was pregnant with #2 at the same time as me and who had a caesarean with #1 had agonising pain in her previous scar tissue from about 16 weeks onwards. It wasn't constant, but she would suddenly get a stabbing pain so intense it would take her breath away and she'd have to sit down, wherever she was. She found it incredibly debilitating and was worried half to death, but she went on to deliver a healthy baby at 40 weeks. Her bump was low the whole time, which she thought contributed to the pain and pressure on the old scar, and she went to hospital umpteen times because of it, but was always told it was just the old scar tissue and not to worry (which she still did!). Hope it turns out to be nothing serious for you too.

nunnie Tue 02-Aug-11 07:54:22

Thank you juneau this is what I have convinced myself it is to be honest and your friends experience does seem very similar so fingers crossed.

Helzapoppin Tue 02-Aug-11 09:04:10

Hi, hope it goes/went well with the midwife. I have a section scar from two years ago and am 39 weeks now. I've had twinges and the occaisional quite intesnse pain since about 20 weeks and the area around the scar seems rather tender. My obstetrician does not seem too concerned, mentioning that it is most likely to be scar tissue/adhesions. I'm planning ELCS next week, so don't need to worry about this in labour and she's promised that they'll have a good 'look around' in there during the section to check that all is okay.
Fingers crossed it's fine for you too smile

nunnie Tue 02-Aug-11 10:51:36

Thank you, her response was she is foxed. The scar isn't tender to touch but is painful to touch about an inch above. It isn't the babies position as it is to the left so if anything there will only be limbs there.
She did mention appendix but I am not convinced it is that and was admitted to hospital earlier in pregnancy due to pain in the same place but not as intense and the GP referred me as a possible appendix case, but gynae examined me and said it was most likely stretching of scar tissue but nothing to alarming. I suppose it could be the same only more intense as there is more weight around that area.
Have left it that if pain gets worse then to contact hospital and get checked out.

nunnie Tue 02-Aug-11 10:53:34

I am hoping for a VBAC but have to wait until I get scan result a week on monday before it can become final. This pain is making me feel a little less confident in my VBAC choice if I am like this in pregnancy how on earth am I going to react to pain in that area during labour? hmm

juneau Tue 02-Aug-11 12:18:34

How annoying that they can't give you a clear answer! My friend was the same - they seemed to 'think' it was the old scar tissue, but never seemed 100% sure. Good luck with your VBAC. My friend also wanted to try for a VB and did try, but her cervix didn't dilate and she ended up having a 2nd caesarean.

MissusTulip Tue 02-Aug-11 18:00:24

Only thought I've had is maybe you have a surgical adhesion from the CS round there? It's a long time since I did any sort of general surgical job, but an adhesion is a band of internal scar tissue that can develop after any abdominal surgical procedure, including a CS so it may be getting pulled on by the shift in baby's position plus baby's weight plus growing uterus? As far as I know it won't really show up on any scans etc, so it would be quite tricky to pick up on but I don't think it'll do much harm bar being very sore when it pulls sad. Would be worth asking your care team about?

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 18:03:25

I think it's possibly adhesions. Particularly if it's near the scar but not exactly there. I have adhesions around my cs scar and get pain above it sometimes, always have. It's perfectly possible that the baby shifting, maybe engaging is pulling on this tissue and tearing it slightly.

AlpinePony Tue 02-Aug-11 18:04:22

My ex-bf was just telling me yesterday that his MIL was sneered at during labour for "making a fuss" - baby out + appendix out within the hour! wink

TheOriginalFAB Tue 02-Aug-11 18:06:59

I was very close to scar rupture when giving birth to dc3. It was dc1 who was delivered by emergency section and dc2 was a VBAC, as was dc3. I hope all goes well.

nunnie Tue 02-Aug-11 18:35:38

Thank you everyone, will mention the adhesion possibility when I see the Consultant a week on monday sounds logical.

I have had one successful (well failed 3rd stage) with my 1st, and EMCS with DS due to brow so was hoping to have a VBAC to end on but it really won't be the end of the world if I am unable to have one as long as she/he is healthy.

Thank you again everyone for all your advice and help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now