Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

help with rib pain please???

(9 Posts)
lchodge Mon 01-Aug-11 21:35:50

I'm 30+3 with my second child. My ribs are in agony like someone's pushing down on them and it seems to get worse in the evening and it has woken me up during the night.I've noticed its just come on over the last couple of weeks and affects both sides just under my breasts. I'm not due at the midwife till next week and its quite hard to get hold of anyone at my doctors surgery so please let me know if you have experienced the same or something similar?
Thanks x

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 01-Aug-11 21:38:05

It could be baby feet/arms pushing against your ribs. Could you sit on a big gym ball thing and rock back and forth to see if thathelps? Or try some stretching exercises?

Sorry, been a while (8yrs) since I was expecting.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Mon 01-Aug-11 21:39:38

I was going to say could be arms or legs too.

LisMcA Mon 01-Aug-11 21:46:30

I had rib pain and my consultant said it was my ribs splaying as DS sat really high betwee 30 and 35 weeks.

It can indicate some other things, so I would try to contact your MW/GP just to check everything out. But I'm sure it'll be fine smile

rooks14 Tue 02-Aug-11 00:21:07

I told my midwife it was unbearable at every appointment, but if it's on both sides then all she did was write it on my notes with advice to take paracetomol...

Earlier on in my pregnancy I had his head under my ribs and thought it would be easier as he dropped. I'm 39+6 and am still in agony even tho he's 4/5 engaged! Think he's just stretching his legs out sad

Sleeping with arms behind your head to open up ribcage and have more room is the only thing i can suggest! x

iWILLdothis Tue 02-Aug-11 12:08:01

I'm 28wks and just started noticing this last week also. Only advice I can read online is to lie with arms up above your head to ease it. My baby is lying transverse, so is just running out of space in there. Hopefully it'll take the hint and move! Bump is as wide as a bus....

G1nger Tue 02-Aug-11 13:44:17

I'm actually finding (@ 32 weeks) that sitting in the 'right' position (straight or forward, with my knees below my hips) encourages the little tyke to have a go at my ribs. But he only ever goes for one at a time (and almost exclusively the right one). Pregnancy is full of aches and pains, but seek an opinion from a doctor - not a midwife - if you're worried that yours aren't normal.

lchodge Tue 02-Aug-11 14:07:52

Thanks every1 pretty much wot my friends/family said however 2day I noticed blind spots in my vision which lasted for5mins or so then changed2blurred vision and after i had a headache for a while. when I put these symptoms together in Google I get pre -eclampsia so I'm definitely more worried now and going2c the doctor2mro. fingers crossed its not pe but at least then il know wot I'm dealing with. my first pregnancy was so much easier!

G1nger Tue 02-Aug-11 14:10:47

Go to see your doctor today. They'll see you - they'll make room if they have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now