Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)

(7 Posts)
Cambridgemother Mon 01-Aug-11 18:41:40

Dear All

I'm just looking for some reassurance really. I suffer from Hypothyroidsim and my TSH has been up at 5.3. It was only in week 15 of my pregnancy that I was advised to increase my dose from 50mcgs per day to 75mcgs per day, in an attempt to decrease my TSH to <2.5. I was told (by obs and gyn professional) that there is a rise of low IQ when the TSH is high, especially in the first trimester. Is 5.3 considered to be that high?

Many thanks for reading this.

Cambridgemother Mon 01-Aug-11 18:45:13

Sorry, that should be a risk, rather than a rise, in the message above.

Also the 50 and 75mcgs are for thyroxine - thanks again!

ciwi Mon 01-Aug-11 19:33:55

Hi I am no expert as I was only diagnosed hypo in March. I really wouldn't worry about a tsh of 5.3 especially if they are now treating it, there is a thread under conception for people who are pg with an underactive thyroid and I am sure people on there have had higher tsh levels and their babies have been fine x

Cambridgemother Mon 01-Aug-11 20:01:44

Hello there Ciwi

Thank you very much for both your honesty and your advice; both are much appreciated.

Best wishes to you!

Beesok Mon 01-Aug-11 20:07:29

Hi Cambridgemother I think we've been reading similar articles on the web smile I wouldn't worry too much as you are being treated but check out the underactive threads on mumsnet - there some lovely ladies on those who have lots of experience.
I am not going to lie to you - you should keep a tab on this as per a good consultant's recommendation ideally TSH in pregnancy should be maintained at a level close to 1-1.5 so def. insist on being checked every few weeks and make sure your dose is adjusted.

Sarahplane Mon 01-Aug-11 22:14:56

Make sure they keep an eye on it and tsh should be under 2 preferably but doesn't sound too drastic. I think the difference between 50mcg and 75 isn't too huge and of 5 isn't that high so you and baby should both be fine. Many people don't even get diagnosed with thyroid problems until later in pregnancy and babies are still fine. Try not to get too stressed about it just make sure they keep checking your bloods now. I've had my thyroid levels tested about once a month during my pregnancy.

Cambridgemother Tue 02-Aug-11 14:36:10

Hi Beesok and Sarah

Again, thanks for the advice, worth gold!

Best of luck to you both

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now