Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When does measuring big become an issue? If at all?

(10 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 01-Aug-11 16:45:22

Hi smile

I am 31 weeks and am measuring 3 weeks too big and have done since my 28week appt.

I have done a GTT and was all clear so I know the baby's growth isn't due to GD, he is just a big baby.

Saw MW today and she said she would measure me at 34 weeks again and see how big I am then and 'then make a plan' I was too hot and tired to ask what this plan might be.

will they have me in early? If not, is there a chance that baby will come early? Will I need another scan?

Quire worried about birthing a huge baby out when I couldn't manage my last one (9lb5oz) without intervention.

Need someone to tell me not to worry smile I am soooo uncomfortable and hot.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 01-Aug-11 17:10:53

I can't tell you not to worry as I don't know what is wrong.

I measured too big on two occasions. Both times I had a scan. First time all was fine. Second time baby was delivered by emergencey section. The day before had been seen in hospital as baby wasn't moving. I had polyhydromnious.

My advice would be to keep an eye on movements and if there is any change go to hospital to have a trace.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 01-Aug-11 17:15:53

Ok thanks. Movements are very regular so far.

Now googling poly- whatsit....

froggers1 Mon 01-Aug-11 17:20:13

Hi - I measured 2-3 weeks bigger all the way through my pregnancy. Nothing wrong at all - he was just big! also he came at 39 weeks and was 8 pounds 14 so big but not huge....fingers crossed for youxx

posterofagirl Mon 01-Aug-11 17:22:22

I measured big all through and in spite of the scan saying she was 6lb she was born 9lb2.

They would have intervened sooner had they known instead of calling me fat! ( I did put on a fair bit of fat too!)

If you think baby is big make sure they do have a birth plan with that in mind. My midwife said she had never known a weight scan to be right.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 01-Aug-11 17:25:57

BTW my baby was predicted to be 8-9lbs, and 4 hours before he was born 7lb 15oz. He was 6lb 14oz.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 01-Aug-11 17:32:32

I haven't put on too much weight anywhere else, just this huge bump.

I was induced at +12 with DD, had episiotomy and ventouse and she was 9lb 5oz but I never measured big with her so nobody had any idea she would be big.

I just worry because I couldn't manage to push DD out so how will I manage to do it with an even bigger one?

I am 5ft 10 though and DH 6ft 2 so perhaps we just make big ones!? grin

I'm trying not to worry until someone says I should be...

apple99 Mon 01-Aug-11 17:36:57

I have measured big for dates most of this pregnancy, usually 3-4 weeks. Had an extra scan and baby was measuring within normal range so consultant said no need to worry. He said himself that the measuring the way they do (with the tape measure) is hugely inaccurate as all women are different sizes and it can change depending on how the baby is lying etc.

If movements are fine and the only problem is a large measure then I wouldn't worry at all.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 01-Aug-11 17:46:57

I secretly want another scan so we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for all your replies, will continue to mintior movements as usual and just wait it out smile

LadyGoneGaga Mon 01-Aug-11 18:20:17

Don't forget though that second babies are miles easier to get out than first babies. I just had my 9lb 8oz DD on gas and air with 20 mins of pushing and 3 hr 44 min labour. And she had her elbow up by her face. Contrast that with 32 hour labour, 10 hour second stage with ventouse and episiotomy for DS (first child) who weighed 8lb 2oz.

Of course they could be wrong (although they were right with me!).

And big babies help themselves to be born more than little babies. They are stronger so can wriggle and help themselves out more. I could feel DD pushing with her feet against the top of my uterus as I was pushing!

So try not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now