Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Huge weight gain in 1 week - should I be worried?

(13 Posts)
Blobby11 Mon 01-Aug-11 13:08:43

Hi
I'm 37 weeks and in the last week I've put on 5 pounds! Is this something I should be worried about? Up until now I've been gaining around 1 pound per fortnight

Thanks

belgo Mon 01-Aug-11 13:10:05

It could be fluid, do you have any sign of excess fluid?

Blobby11 Mon 01-Aug-11 13:16:55

My hands and feet are a bit swollen so perhaps that's it

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 13:17:50

Are you feeling okay?

When do you see a midwife again?

TimeWasting Mon 01-Aug-11 13:18:29

Any other untoward symptoms?

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 13:18:40

1lb a week is normal at the end. Your scales might be broken!

Excess fluid might be nothing, could be a sign of something like preeclampsia. When was your bp/urine checked last?

Blobby11 Mon 01-Aug-11 13:26:57

I haven't had anything checked for a few weeks but I'm seeing the midwife tomorrow so will see what she says. Just wanted to check I didn't need to rush and see anyone today.

BobbieSox Mon 01-Aug-11 13:27:25

At some point during the 20 weeks I put on 3 pounds one week, then nothing for the next 2, then at around 30 weeks lost 4 pounds in a week - only to put 4 on the following week. So I started weighing myself daily for a bit and it really can vary day to day, for me at least, by a couple of pounds. No idea why but I'm at around the right place for where I'm supposed to be ( 34 wks)

If you're worried, definitely check with your midwife though!

TimeWasting Mon 01-Aug-11 13:32:25

If you've no other symptoms, tomorrow should be fine.

Headaches? Blurry vision?

Blobby11 Mon 01-Aug-11 13:34:59

No headaches and vision seems ok but I'll watch out for these
Many thanks

thejaffacakesareonme Mon 01-Aug-11 14:00:58

Is your face also swollen? That can also be a sign of pre-eclampsia. Do you feel well in yourself? Not everyone gets all the signs of pre-eclampsia. If you have any concerns please contact your midwife.

belgo Mon 01-Aug-11 14:19:07

Sorry I forgot about this thread. Was also thinking preeclampsia, I think you should phone your midwife.

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 14:56:03

Honestly, I'd ring and ask for a bp/urine check today. It's probably bugger all, but with oedema and weight gain to that extent, I'd want the peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now