Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have to go to the dentist soon :(

(5 Posts)
xkatyx Mon 01-Aug-11 09:14:26

God help me!!! I hate the dentist and haven't been in years (luckily haven't needed too) but I have to go now because I'm in pain and I'm so worried.
1. I don't actually know why I'm so scared
2. I'm more than likey going to get told off
3. Can they use those injections? And are they safe in pregnancy???

I'm such a big baby.

Cattleprod Mon 01-Aug-11 09:23:15

Firstly, if you are 2nd or 3rd trimester, ask the dentist to not put the couch right back to lying down position. You'll be more comfortable sitting up slightly, and won't end up feeling dizzy or sick.
Secondly, tell the dentist you're scared, then hopefully they'll be more gentle and sympathetic. You might even get a sticker at the end!!
Thirdly, injections are safe. I've had root canal surgery while heavily pregnant and it was fine. The only thing they can't do is x-rays.
Don't worry, you'll be fine! smile

xkatyx Mon 01-Aug-11 09:38:26

Thank u I'm 17 weeks with twins.

Ok I was going to cancel but your nessae has made me not.

I'll just have to het on with it sad

I have broken a tooth never have before so don't have a clue about pain wise

Cattleprod Mon 01-Aug-11 10:19:44

Please don't cancel! Believe me, going around with a broken tooth will be far more painful in the long run than a few minutes of discomfort in the dentist's chair. Also, they may find teeth that are starting to get problems and be able to give you preventative treatment (things like suggesting different toothpaste or flossing techniques, and surface fillings which are painless) which will save you from having to have more dental work in the future. smile

Grumpystiltskin Mon 01-Aug-11 14:26:23

The general consensus with x rays is that if they are necessary to prevent severe pain/infection then we will usually do them as the miniscule risk (particularly after first trimester) is worth it to prevent more serious consequences of excess stress hormones, antibiotic prescriptions and use of painkillers etc.
You should NOT be asked to wear a lead apron if you do have x rays taken as the modern thinking is that the lead prevents the escape of any x rays that enter your body and cause them to reflect back through to the other side. (hope that makes sense).

Just tell your dentist you are veyr nervous and they will try to help you. My most stressful patients are those who say they are nervous then refuse to listen to anything I or my nurse say. Like "deep breaths" "wiggle your toes" "close your mouth" etc etc. They will help you out as much as is possible if you meet them halfway.

Definitely don't cancel, you will wonder what you were worried about. High five on the prevention side of things to cattle prod as well. Prevention better than cure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now