Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain... Is this right?

(12 Posts)
KateBC Mon 01-Aug-11 08:30:45

I've been pretty chuffed with myself so far with the amount of weight I've put on, which I was under the impression was pretty average. With DS1 I put on 4 1/5 stone because I basically used it a an excuse to eat crap... So at 33 weeks having put on about 1 1/2 stone, I've been feelin pretty good. Until I went to midwife and she told me that due to my excessive weight gain I am at risk of gestational diabetes!

I started off average weight, bmi smack bang in the middle, so failing to see how this is excessive? Midwife says that between 1 and 1 1/2 stone weight gain is normal, but surely that isn't enough? So confused!

So am I right or is she? What is the 'average' ideal weight gain?

TIA x

ImBrian Mon 01-Aug-11 08:41:34

I thought that if you were normal weight then 25-35lbs was considered the right amount of weight! If I get to 33 weeks and have only put on 1 1/2 stone I'll be really pleased. I'd ask for a second opinion.

SchrodingersMew Mon 01-Aug-11 08:48:22

i'm 30 +2 and have put on about 5lbs from my starting weight but lost about a stone at the start, so I guess I've put on 1st 5lbs?

I think a stone and a half sounds really normal, infact I think most people put on more.

ragged Mon 01-Aug-11 08:55:49

Sounds like MW was confused about your pre-pg weight.

I put on 2-2.5 stone in all my pregnancies and was deemed by all & sundry to be "skinny" soon after the birth; I don't see how anybody can put on any less healthily unless you start pregnancy overweight.

Snusmumriken Mon 01-Aug-11 09:12:24

Hello,

I have gained 1.7 stone and I am only 29 weeks. My midwife has been very supportive and does not want me to worry about it at all.

She said that as long as I am eating well and I feeling fine everything should be just fine. She thinks I will gain quite a bit more before I give birth, and she does not seem to care at all. Nor do I!

I was very fit pre-pregnancy. I am sure that a lot of my increased weight has to do with the fact that I no longer go to the gym 5 days a week.

Try not to worry too much about your weight or your midwife and good luck!

Piglet28 Mon 01-Aug-11 09:16:26

That sounds ridiculous! I put on about 2 stone and was considered small ... was about an 8 to begin with though. I think you can account for a stone being baby, water and placenta anyway!

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 09:23:44

Well considering average weight gain is 4lbs in the first trimester and 1lb a week in the second trimester, to fit with your midwife's (incorrect btw) ideas, you'd have to gain NO weight at all in the 3rd trimester.

It's fine. My midwife didn't even weigh me after my booking appointment. It's not necessary unless you suspect gestational diabetes due to other reasons. Or if your weight is already an issue.

KateBC Mon 01-Aug-11 09:44:07

Glad to hear it! Annoyed that she has been telling people wrong info though, she could end up causing someone to go and start dieting when they're a perfectly healthy weight! Stupid woman.

Going back in tomorrow and will put a couple of pregnancy books in my bag for if she tries to tell me I'm fat again!

AlpinePony Mon 01-Aug-11 10:12:44

I think she's got her sums wrong.

iWILLdothis Mon 01-Aug-11 13:11:42

I haven't been weighed by MW at all and I'm 28wks now. She just took my word for it at the booking appt. and hasn't mentioned weight since! Maybe I'm the one who should be worried? confused

KateBC Mon 01-Aug-11 14:44:42

They didn't mention weight in 1st pregnancy for me either, even though I visibly put on masses! I wouldn't worry about it, I certainly didn't first time round, and DS is healthy and I lost the weight fine!

HPonEverything Mon 01-Aug-11 16:45:58

I think your MW has done her maths wrong, or was confused about your starting weight.

I've only been weighed by my MW once so far, which was the booking in appt. I don't know if they bother doing it again tbh, it's never been mentioned.

Am 30+5 and put on about 6lb but like Schroedinger I also lost a stone at the beginning so really it's 1st 6lb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now