Talk

Advanced search

Help

(21 Posts)
Zay04 Sun 31-Jul-11 19:54:48

Hello

I know you have heard this all before, but please could you help. I'm pregnant with my first child, and its not going to great. I feel really sick, nauseous and am sick at least once a day. The problem is once I'm sick, i'll lose my appetite to the rest of the day and have to really force myself to eat.I have no idea what to try or use, I go back to work soon as well and don't really want this to continue at work.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

pootlebug Sun 31-Jul-11 20:12:34

I found that eating small amounts and often helps with the nausea....whatever you feel like you can stomach. When it is bad I can forget the idea of eating cooked meals and end up surviving on melon, lucozade, ryvita, ready salted crisps and rice krispies.

It is horrible. Hopefully it should stop after a few weeks - many people find it gets better around 12 weeks.

edwinbear Sun 31-Jul-11 20:42:40

I found ice lollies were OK, or how about fruit smoothies? Really cold ginger beer worked for me as well. It's basically a case of eating what you think you can stomach for a while. It is awful though, I hope it doesn't last too long for you.

Crosshair Sun 31-Jul-11 20:45:09

I also found a lucozade and snacking helped.

PrincessJenga Sun 31-Jul-11 20:47:43

Crisp sandwiches. Jacket potato with cheese. Ice pops.
Good luck grin

candr Sun 31-Jul-11 20:58:50

Poor you, it is awful but will hopefully pass. I actually had a melt down sobbing to my DH to 'help me eat' but as I couldn't think of anything I would want it was hard for him to help. I ate punnets of seedless gapes and water melon. Crisps were also good and cerial in the evening. Could not stand smell of food or anything cooked (did resort to pot noodle on occassion though). My MW told me to just wander round shop and buy whatever I thought I could manage no matter how odd the food was. When you get to 2nd trimester you will rediscover food and revel in eating more than you ever thought you could without feeling guilty.

Lizzun Sun 31-Jul-11 21:10:33

Hiya Zay

I know how you feel, and it's miserable :-( I managed the nausea by eating small amounts frequently - every hour, whatever you fancy... People recommend ginger, but this didn't help me and has left me with an aversion to it! Also suggested was dry crackers, biscuits, ice cream/lollies... I found yoghurts seemed to coat my stomach first thing, but it was hit & miss whether they stayed down... People suggested dry biscuits before getting up in the morning, but I usually woke wretching, sometimes having a snack when I woke in the night helped make things easier later in the day...

To stop myself wretching, which would lead to vomiting if I had anything in my stomach, in the end I just had to rest... I went to the doctors and there are things they can try that won't harm baby although these didn't help me, so they signed me off til it subsided naturally - between 12 &16 weeks.

If you find you are unable to keep anything down you must get medical advice because baby could start to suffer...

Hope you find something that works for you and feel better soon... Take care of yourself!

Skillbo Sun 31-Jul-11 21:11:37

I know it's probably been said to you abut a million times, but you could try ginger - and I don't mean ginger biscuits or tea as I dnidn't find these worked at all. The best thing I ever did after weeks of feeling like death was invest in some ginger lozenges from the pharmacist - they're like fruit pastilles, but gingery, if you know what I mean. I was really worried that something had happened to the baby because I honestly felt better immediately and could face food again... not everything, but the thought of food no longer made me want to heave which, for me, was a total turn around!

Good luck though - nothing as miserable but is worth it... honest!!

Zay04 Sun 31-Jul-11 21:20:06

Thanks so much, I had a 2 hour (!!!) nap earlier which helped and then went to eat which has again made me feel ill. I know there are countless other women who are in the same position and have it worse than me, but sometimes you feel like your the only one who has ever had it this bad, lol grin Think I will visit the doctors, see what they can give. Anything to help.

Thanks again though ladies, I really appreciate all the help...

MrsBakerNeeld Sun 31-Jul-11 21:27:51

My nausea was completely unmanagable in the first trimester, to the extent that I couldn't keep down water. If all else fails, do to your GP, there are a number of methods of treatment for severe nausea.

Other than that, I echo what everyone else has said. Dry biscuits were a godsend.

Good luck!

melliebobs Sun 31-Jul-11 21:51:13

Small amounts little and often. I'm just (fingers crossed) coming out of this stage. Past 5 weeks I've lives off sausage rolls, ritz crackers, rocket ice lollies and fresh oj. It's a pain in the ass but it doesn't last forever

Mum2be79 Sun 31-Jul-11 22:01:58

Agree with pootlebug. I'm 18 weeks pregnant today (hurrah!) with my first and felt the same - although i wasn't actually sick - just no appetite.

I ate snack things, little and often and when I felt like it - no matter how unhealthy. Baby will take from you what it needs (and we all 'store' the good stuff). Take some vitamin pills (NOT VIT A) if you're worried about that.

Also don't panic if you loose weight. I lost over a stone in my 1st trimester and only now am I beginning to put the weight back on. Although I think it's baby weight because even though my appetite is returning, I'm not eating the amount I was eating pre-pregnancy.

On a last note, don't expect it to go away by 12 weeks. It might go earlier (as mine did at 10) but it may last longer - sometimes even into the 2nd trimester. But it's nothing to worry about. Some women have terrible sickness to the extent where they are hospitalised or need drugs but still have healthy babies.

Apologies if this worries you, but really don't. It's miserable but it will be temporary.

notlettingthefearshow Sun 31-Jul-11 23:04:12

Crackers and milk. All I could manage some days. Eat something unless you can't keep it down. You will feel worse on an empty stomach. Eat crackers late at night and in the middle of the night if necessary. I kept a tin of crackers by the bed.

It vanished at 12 weeks (started at 9) and now I hope never to see a Jacob's cracker ever again.

Until the next pregnancy ...

Zay04 Tue 02-Aug-11 22:17:58

I went to the docs and he gave me some tablets but said only take them if you feel really bad. I felt ok yesterday, well better than today, as I have just been sick all day. I know this is a stupid question but is this normal. I tried ginger biccies and that made me feel worse. I'm starting to think there is no food out there for me to eat. Also when I was sick today, I started to get this pain in my stomach, which I mentioned to the doc and he never said anything about it. Is that normal?

excitedLJ Tue 02-Aug-11 22:32:09

Yep all normal - grossly unpleasant but normal nonetheless. I was sick from week 7-14 then 16-23 and hated it. Felt so drained, pissed off, wretching was painful etc etc but doc signed me as fit to work from home only and it has been a god send. I talked it through with him and wanted to avoid tablets but he said rest is the best thing anyway. I am 25 weeks now and have not been sick for 2 weeks (fingers crossed) and still have another month of working from home left. I totally advise it if you can do it. I also found not eating too soon after waking up helped me but to be honest you will probably figure out your own rhythms rather than do the same as someone else anyway. Get well soon and try not to let it get you down too much xxx

theonlyhb2 Tue 02-Aug-11 23:55:57

jelly for breakfast. Biscuits were too dry, anything dairy was a no no and if i just had a drink it would come back up. Then if jelly stayed i could maybe manage a ham and dairylda toastie.

OH had to make everything for me as the kitchen made me puke. I did have HG but even now at 38 weeks i struggle to find things i want to eat (Greggs and McD is my new stable diet as they stay down!)

you can get anti sickness drugs from Dr (they tell you you can't take anything but thats bull

good luck (and ditch the ginger. I think i threw something at the last person who suggested it. Does fuck all)

LittlePebble Wed 03-Aug-11 06:34:01

All suggestions above re food are great. The only thing that worked for me however was acupuncture which was brilliant. They can give it to you on nhs I think so definitely worth a visit to the doctor x

LizzyMathsWhizzy Wed 03-Aug-11 09:47:57

Twiglets and marmite toast are good if you like them, because they are full of vitamin b6 which is anti nausea. Also try taking a pregnancy multivitamin instead of just folic acid, these have b6 in as well. I wore travel sickness bands for a few weeks, not sure if they helped or not, but it might at least help you feel like you're doing something! I ate a bag of twiglets half an hour before getting out of bed, every morning between week 7 and 16, it did set me up for the day a lot better, and I found that I was able to eat a normal breakfast in addition to the twiglets after a while. Just don't give up, get loads of snacks and eat as soon as you feel nausea coming on. Don't wait to be hungry, if you're anything like me you'll just throw up. Good luck, hopefully it will pass soon.

notcitrus Wed 03-Aug-11 10:28:46

I lived on cereal for much of the last couple months, plus multivitamins.
Unlike my last pregnancy, this time coffee or chocolate made me really sick so I've had to avoid them.
Hope you feel better soon.

H007 Wed 03-Aug-11 11:09:44

I lived on sweets in the morning for my first trimester, I'd suck on sweets constantly until about 11am where I'd try more ample food. I did find the more sleep I got the better the ms and likewise the less sleep I got or the more I worked the worse the ms was.

Zay04 Wed 03-Aug-11 22:07:47

Thanks so much for all the help, I just feel like i'm a wits end ready to cry all the time. Don't think my OH knows what to do anymore. I have no idea how to cope. I just want to eat a good normal meal and not worry about being sick anymore. Looking forward to that. I'm going to try them tablets today, and see if they help. Unlike a normal person I can not have dry stuff biccies, bread sticks I just seem to throw it all back up. Another day, another battle with my stomach....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now