Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Starting a new job!

(6 Posts)
lisakell Sun 31-Jul-11 14:57:03

Hi, I have discovered I am pregnant this weekend but am very nervous as I am starting a new job tomorrow. (Ironically the job I have just left was with a well know Nusery Retailer - I'm trying to not think of the lost discount!) I have been recruited as the person previously in the role is leaving to have a baby and has already said she isn't returning. I'm only 4 weeks so I don't really want to say anything yet just in case but on the other hand I don't want to appear that I have lied to my new employees. I will be returning to work after the birth as we aren't able to cope financially without 2 incomes. I would really appreciate any advice on how and when to go about speaking to my new boss from any one who has been in the same situation. Thanks!

addictediam Sun 31-Jul-11 15:35:20

dont tell them yet, personally i would wait untill you are out of the probation period (if its 1-3 months) then tell them when you would normally feel ready too. you dont need to appoligise or explain anything to them, it will be a pain for them but its done now. presumably you didnt know at the time of going for the job you were pregnant (or possibly not even pregnant then) so you havent done anything wrong.

hth

ButterflySally Sun 31-Jul-11 17:34:05

Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I was in a similar position to you, so know how you feel. I found out I was pregnant after I had interviewed, been offered, and accepted the job although I was about 13 weeks by the time I actually started the job! (the recruitment process takes a long time in my industry). I told them early on after I started as I felt it wouldn't be long till I started showing...but I am unusual in that I didn't have a probation period. I would imagine they were probably not thrilled but didn't convey that to me - they were ok about it. I've just started my maternity leave now and all is fine!

However, in your position, given you are only 4 weeks, I would wait longer. The thing to remember is that you do not have any responsibility to tell your employer until much later on (I think 25 weeks?? Someone may be along to correct me) so don't see it as lying to them.

You will still be entitled to maternity leave. However, as you have started a job already pregnant, you may unfortunately not be eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) - check on the DirectGov website for the dates/weeks of service needed to be eligible. If you aren't, you can apply for Maternity Allowance which may tide you over whilst you are off on maternity leave.

HTH and good luck in your new role.

lisakell Tue 02-Aug-11 19:36:13

Thanks both of you its great to hear other people dealing with the same situation. I became pregnant after I had accepted the job and during my notice period from my former job (only just started trying and thought that at the age of 36 it may take a little while - first time lucky!)
My main worry now is that my probationary period is 6 months so I will have to tell them before thats over, and although I know that they can't legally end my contract due to pregnancy its the next hurdle so I'll probably be back on here asking for help!

dreamc1 Mon 08-Aug-11 06:49:30

Hi
I have jut found out I'm pregnant, I think around 3 or 4 weeks. However, I have finally got my formal offer letter for my new job (HCA in a hospital, which has taken over 2 months!). I feel I need to tell them due to the nature of the job: manual handling, bodily fluids etc; what to you guys think? Added to that we are going on hol for 2 weeks in Sept, I don't think it will go down very well. Help will be much appreciated.

allthefires Mon 08-Aug-11 07:57:44

If you have job offer and it's all confirmed then yes I would tell them now as you will need a pregnancy risk assessment.

Congratulations btw!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now