Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Having a little panic over less movements....

(17 Posts)
Eviepoo Sun 31-Jul-11 07:42:13

I've been lying awake thinking 'come on dragon - not felt you dunt me this mroning' and was thinking that although I felt movements yesterday, I think it was less than during the week. Now I'm getting worried, so I am going to go wake DH up and get him to talk to dragon etc and speak to me about it. If no movement in a while I will call the maternity unit.

Please talk to me in the mean time - is this just a baby running out of space thing - I'm 37w and recently it's been more wriggles and squirms than kicks. But I had loads of wriggles and squirms wed, thurs, fri - less yesterday and non so far today..

hayleysd Sun 31-Jul-11 07:47:52

I would ring the midwife anyway, if you felt less movement yesterday just go and get checked as it's one of the things they always say to mention.
I never felt much movement with ds2 and he was only 4lb 14 but was born with positional talipes so his feet were in the wrong position to kick much

JenniL1977 Sun 31-Jul-11 07:48:39

Hey Evie,
If you're worried, call in.
My LO (37wks also) had a quieter couple of days this week too, not that you'd know with the beating I'm getting right now.
Could be getting quiet as s/he's getting ready to come out - I've heard they go proper still for a day or two before labour?
But there's just much less room for them now.
How you feeling generally though? I'm well pissed off, just want her out now!

saltyseadog Sun 31-Jul-11 08:06:36

I'd personally go and get checked now. It will put your mind at rest and they won't mind. Hope dragon starts moving soon smile

RitaMorgan Sun 31-Jul-11 08:07:03

It's a bit of a myth that they stop moving before labour - you should always get a reduction in movements checked out.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but please go and get checked as soon as possible, don't wait.

JenniL1977 Sun 31-Jul-11 08:12:06

Is it a myth Rita? yet more old wives tales I've been told! Thanks for that! smile

RitaMorgan Sun 31-Jul-11 08:20:17

I was told the same when I was pregnant Jenni but I've since read on a stillbirth campaign website that it's not true. Babies should continue moving pretty much up to birth - even during labour the midwives will check that you're still feeling lots of movement.

CBear6 Sun 31-Jul-11 08:21:12

Yup, it's a myth. Baby should be moving right up until labour and in between contractions too once labour starts. When I was in labour with DS it was one of the things the MW kept asking - can you still feel him moving?

Hope everything is okay Evie.

Eviepoo Sun 31-Jul-11 08:28:34

Thanks so much guys,

I woke DH who said he could hear dragon's heartbeat. He gave me a cuddle and tried to reasure me, I had a few tears, threw up (becoming more and more regular again the last week or so each morning) had a hot mug of tea, and then dragon squirmed and moved and jerked about a bit for the last 10 minutes. So I am feeling a lot better now.

DH thinks that because last week was my last week at work, I dd far too many hours and was a little bit stressed out, then yesterday I totally chilled and relaxed, dragon probably had a rest with me.

Now I know dragon has moved fine I'm not paniccing any more - but I will carefully take note of dragon's movements today, and if there is any doubts about how much I will phone and go in.

I have MW on Tuesday and if everything is fine today and tomorrow - I will wait until Tuesday but I will explain to her I was a bit worried this morning.

Grainger Sun 31-Jul-11 08:35:12

I have just had DS2 and know that when I was pregnant if i ate anything with a high sugar content he came to life almost immediately. If you are worried in the future you could try that.

When I was in labour with DS1 they were worried about his lack of activity and heart rate dropping and so gave me some lucozade to drink (they had a cupboard full of the stuff in the admissions unit) which seemed to perk him up straight away. It's mad to think something you eat or drink could have such an instantaneous affect on the baby.

RitaMorgan Sun 31-Jul-11 08:39:37

You might find this useful:

countthekicks.org.uk/

Eviepoo Sun 31-Jul-11 08:42:08

Grainger - thanks for that, only problem is I have GD so the sugary drinks are a no no.

I usually find that iced water or hot tea have a similar effect - without paniccing about my glucose levels smile

I'm just so grateful for mumsnet and the support you get here. You all understand those panics that a mum or mum to be get....

Pastabee Sun 31-Jul-11 08:50:51

I had a great moment of coincidence yesterday. Baby has pattern to movements and like you I started to worry when morning kicks didn't start. Panic was growing and I flippantly said 'you won't get a Fresco Bloom chair' if you don't move and just at that moment got kicked!!!

I totally empathise though. It's horrid as the worry increases and no one, DH included, ever seems as worried as you do they?

Pastabee Sun 31-Jul-11 08:51:23

Meant to add very pleased your baby started moving again.

hayleysd Sun 31-Jul-11 09:07:00

How did he hear the heartbeat? With a Doppler? If not don't rely on listening with his ear as you have major arteries in that area so it was probably your heartbeat he could hear

mookickkick Sun 31-Jul-11 11:32:37

Hi, I'm 40 weeks and had the same experience last week. I called the labour ward and a very nice midwife said to drink ice-cold water and count the movements for the next 2 hours, and to call her back. Turns out there were plenty (40+), but I didn't really feel them unless my hands were on the bump (more squirming than kicking now). I'd also had a particularly quiet day so that might well have been the reason too.

In any case, glad you're feeling better now. Never hesitate to call the hospital.

Eviepoo Sun 31-Jul-11 11:49:14

An update, dragon seemed to really like the praise at this mornings service and wriggled through all 4 songs smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now