Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Headaches

(17 Posts)
spritzercat Sat 30-Jul-11 21:34:14

I've never really had headaches before but since becoming pregnant I can't seem to shake them. They're behind the eyes and also feel really deep in my head like someone is pressing on my head- sorry if that sounds bizarre I can't think of any other way of describing them!.

Anyone else get them and can I take anything for them other than paracetamol(it doesn't shift them)? They can last for a few days at a time and are driving me mad.

Ivortheengine8 Sat 30-Jul-11 21:40:12

Hi spritz, whats's your blood pressure like?
I know headaches are common in pregnancy but I havent really had them like you described. The only time I have had them was a couple of weeks ago when I was feeling dizzy too.
I think you can take co codomol in pregnany.

spritzercat Sat 30-Jul-11 21:47:40

Ivortheengine8 it was fine until this week when it dropped slightly but the doctor said it was still okay.

I'm hoping someone comes on here and says 'yes it's this and if you do this you won't get them'. (I can hope!!!)

As a back up I'll get some co codomol in. Thanks.

Ivortheengine8 Sat 30-Jul-11 21:51:54

I know mine dropped around the time of the headaches so it could be related. Sounds more like migraines though doesnt it?
Hope you get it sorted. Headaches suck in this horrid muggy weather.

Oeisha Sat 30-Jul-11 22:27:59

DO NOT take opiates without your GPs consente/knowledge. Pharmcists will not give them to you if you disclose pregnancy.
1) opiates will cross the placenta (hense why you have heroin babies going through serious withdrawal etc)
2) opiates are highly addictive
3) opiates will actually make headahes worse if not taken with caution
4) some OTC meds contain things like antihistamines
5) opiates can cause constipation as they disrupt the signals from your gut to your brain

I'm a migraineur and have spent many years taking opiates thanks to being allergic to migraine stoppers. I was told I could, if desperate have them, but my GP will need to prescribe. You're much better off resting/sleeping, keeping hydrated and doing some/all of the below than on opiates.

Some tips on relief of headaches/migraines:

- 4head stick (boots do an own version too). Menthol rub you can pop on your forehead/temples that cools and soothes. Lasts a while, but can make your eyes water. You can get a non-menthol one, boots certianly used to sell it.
- 4head (many other brands too) strips - similar idea to stick, but in a gel strip.
- IF you DON'T have caffine in your diet (I don't 'cos of the migraines) try a cup of tea. The caffiine can act as a muscle relaxant. If you do have caffine already, it won't work. You can get paracetamol and caffine tablets too.
- relaxation techniques - breathing exercises etc. Pilates, yoga, all that stuff is good.
- Cold presses - neck, forehead etc.
- Cold bedroom - helps with not dehydrating at night and I also prefer a cold head and warm body if head's bad.
- Keep a snack by bed - carbs if poss. If like me, you're woken up several times a night at the moment, try eating something about 4-6am ish.
- if you're eating a lot of cirtus fruits, cut back/stop, there are studies linking headaches and citrus/citric acid, especially during pg.
- relax as much as you can. Get someone else to do washing up etc.
- regular sleep patterns. Difficult, as if you're like me, you'll be permanently exhausted.
- regular gentle exercises, again, you probably don't feel like it, but even a regular walk round the block will help.

They suck, I know, I really do know, but fight like hell not to take opiates please!

Quodlibet Sat 30-Jul-11 22:31:49

A friend of mine got headaches which she worked out were related to when her blood sugar dropped and got better when she made sure she snacked regularly - might be a stupid suggestion but have you made sure you're eating regularly through the day?

Oeisha Sat 30-Jul-11 22:33:32

oh, and if it is migraines, your GP will need to diagnose...a headache alone does not make a migraine...though they do suck massively and can initially be the only thing you notice.

Watch out for other things like a sudden change in sensation (noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, flashing lights, smells of burning, often things just won't taste righr, nausea, vommiting, clumsiness, feinting, right-side weakness, poor memory retention, forgetting how to spell things etc). Whilst these are all migraine related they can be signs of other things and need investigating.

I hope and pray that it isn't migraines as they're awful, truely awful...good luck and congrats on being pg! xxx

Ivortheengine8 Sat 30-Jul-11 22:37:55

Paracetemol is an opiate no?!

I wasnt trying to diagnose her Oeisha!

Ivortheengine8 Sat 30-Jul-11 22:45:58

Sorry OP take no notice, I'm getting myself in knots here. If it carries on just see your Dr or midwife and see what they can do to help. smile

spritzercat Sun 31-Jul-11 13:35:28

Thank you for all your responses. Oeisha I've still got morning sickness at 16 weeks (boo hiss) and wonder if the headaches are food/drink related.

Quod - that would also tie in with eating enough which is a challenge at the moment. I'm

Ivor thank you for your suggestion anyway! smile

Oeisha I'll try your suggestions. I'm off sick from work at the moment through sickness and exhaustion and am just at my wits end. My body is acting so differently to how it used to, so I'm probably missing simple signs/hints from my body asking me to do something just from being so frazzled confused

Thanks again everyone smile

LackingNicknameInspiration Sun 31-Jul-11 13:43:01

spritzer, are you drinking enough? I keep waking with bad headaches (as well as MS - but only 7 weeks - you have my sympathies!) and they generally subside after a few drinks in the morning (non alcoholic, I hasten to add). I've also been making an effort to drink more water in the evenings, which seems to have improved them a bit too. Obviously, I am instead knackered from having to get up to go to the loo at least once a night......

Sandra2011 Sun 31-Jul-11 14:45:47

My doctor said it's ok to have paracetamol for headaches.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2397.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=129

Oeisha Sun 31-Jul-11 17:01:32

Paracetamol is not an opiate. It is often 'mis-classified' as an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug) but it isn't a true NSAID as it have very minimal anti-inflamatory effect, but I think many still use the NSAID label. It's an aniline-analgesic.

Ivor I wasn't thinking you were trying to diagnose OP. Sorry if I came across as pushy. smile Just concerend that OP might take opiates before seeking medical advice or may be having migraines and not realise it!

If anyone does want to take paracetamol, you can take up to 1000mg a time, and I think 3 times a day (it will tell you on the packet)...but as with all these things, the less you can get away with the better.

You can get paracetamol and caffeine tablets which may help relieve the tension more. It will be more effective if you're on a low caffeine diet. Also, I've found a cup of full-caf tea, or a decent cup of coffee and paracetamol have the same magical powers!

spritzercat Sun 31-Jul-11 18:14:12

Lacking I'm probably not getting enough liquids or anything really. I will try to up my water intake as well it will do no harm.

Oeisha I've taken paracetamol and caffeine and it's worked. I feel fuzzy but I don't know if that is the tiredness or the headache causing it!

I've had morning sickness for 11 weeks and it's kicking the hell out of me. I have been surviving on whatever I can hold down, which hasn't been the varied diet was I used to before. There are so many things I can't eat now that I loved before (I'll love you again chocolate, I promise)

I suppose logically it's no wonder I'm getting headaches

Thanks again for your responses

Oeisha Sun 31-Jul-11 20:51:45

I've gone off chocolate too...well anything 'puddingy/cakey'.
I'm sure you've already tried, but if not, try ginger capsuals for nausea (I got mine form Holland & Barretts). You don't have the taste of ginger, which can be a little overpowering at times...(that is, unless it also comes back up too :S )
Hope you start to feel better soon.

spritzercat Sun 31-Jul-11 20:59:06

Had a nasty vomit incident with ginger at work once.

I've never had problems with food and used to have the love handles to prove it! It's all very disorientating and confusing

Thanks Oeisha. Good luck with your bump too. x

Oeisha Sun 31-Jul-11 21:09:19

spritzer thank you xxx Give your bean a chuckle form me...mine's loving that at the moment (or hating it, who knows)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now