Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exercise in the first trimester

(6 Posts)
Tiggy12 Sat 30-Jul-11 08:51:58

Does anyone know what exercise you can do in the first three months? I am usually quite active, go to the gymn, classes and running but I am petrified that I may overdo it. I do want to stay fit thought ....

AlpinePony Sat 30-Jul-11 11:29:23

Do anything you want to.

Exercise or no exercise - neither will determine the outcome of your pregnancy. smile

Oeisha Sat 30-Jul-11 11:37:00

Just tell your gym you're pg. I can't/they won't let me do anything lifting above my head, and am finding tummy crunching stuff a no-no too (just so bloody uncomfy).
Obv. avoid 'contact' sports to, but otherwise go for it. I had NO energy for anything beyond basic existance, so you're doing well. Still got very little energy at 15wks, but am desparate to be a bit more healthy.
Remember to keep hydrated and if you get twinges or are feeling at all feint, stop and tone it down. Bacially, listen to your body and don't push it too far.

ghosteditor Sat 30-Jul-11 11:39:51

It's fine. Try not to overheat or dehydrate and there's some speculation that you need to keep your heart rate lower than usual. I kept up my usual running/cycling/hockey and yoga and pilates classes, though I was tired a lot and didn't exercise as frequently (no less intensively when I did, though). People have different views so you have to decide for yourself what you deem acceptable. personally, I think it's riskier to get in the car when pg than to GP for a run, bu that doesn't stop my doing either.

Congratulations by the way.

melliebobs Sat 30-Jul-11 12:26:11

if you feel up to it you can CARRY ON AS NORMAL!!!! After 12 weeks avoid ab work. Stay hydrated throughout and just bear in mind ligaments become looser so your more prone to injury. But if you're up to it there is no reasons why not to carry on as before

ragged Sat 30-Jul-11 12:48:57

Go with what you feel up to, your body will tell you if it's too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now