Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whopper of a mosquito bite. Can I take anything?

(15 Posts)
Catsu Sat 30-Jul-11 08:06:19

Night before last I got bitten in the night by a mosquito I think.
Since then it's got bigger and is now about the size of the top of a mug. A hard round swollen hot area. It's itching and sore as well as hot.
I know you can't take piriton when pg but should I take anything else or put anyhing on it? Or just leave it to sort itself out?

fastweb Sat 30-Jul-11 08:09:35

A germaline+antibiotic cream is what we use.

It won't do much for the huge lump, but it'll help the painful\itch side of things.

A bag of frozen peas will give relief too.

You could ring the quack and ask if there are any anti histamines you can take while pregnant, there might be one, and that would really help.

Sarah, in deepest darkest Lomellina, mosquito captial of Italy.

belgo Sat 30-Jul-11 08:11:37

I use an antiseptic cream, it usually sorts it out. Mark the edges of the jump with a pen, so you will know if it spreads, and if it does get worse, you might need to see a doctor. Mosquito bites can be very nasty.

Catsu Sat 30-Jul-11 08:14:48

God I hope I don't have to see a doc. The bite is right in the middle of my bum cheek! And at 38 weeks pg that is not a prety sight lol

will try antiseptic cream and peas! Thanks

fraktious Sat 30-Jul-11 08:15:30

A dab of lavender oil on mine usually helps.

Weirdly I reacted much less to mozzie bites when pregnant. I'm now absolutely covered with them and they're red, bumpy and itch like crazy.

MrsBakerNeeld Sat 30-Jul-11 13:03:13

Something astringent generally helps, however stings like mad! Alcohol gel or something similar. If highly inflammed, it is safe to take small PRN dosages of ceterizine.

Catsu Sat 30-Jul-11 19:25:37

Bite has got quite a bit bigger over today and now has red swollen hard circle surrounding bite with White swollen ring surrounding that. Very odd.

RickGhastley Sat 30-Jul-11 19:28:04

My hospital consultant told me yesterday that there is an antihistamine thet can be used in pregnancy but very unhelpfully she could not remember the name!!

Perhaps speak to your pharmacist?

posterofagirl Sat 30-Jul-11 19:28:49

You can take clartyn which is loratadine with no risk while pregnant.

AKMD Sat 30-Jul-11 22:35:35

Scratch it with one of these

IDontDoIroning Sat 30-Jul-11 22:46:50

Have you tried the clicker thing you get from boots etc.. You put them over the bite and click and it sends a small electric shock through the skin. Sounds mad I know but apparently it does something to reduce the immune response to the bite.
Ive got one and it does work.
Ive also painted clear nail varnish over bites as this stops the itching.

MrsBloomingTroll Sun 31-Jul-11 07:38:32

I had a bite on my arm earlier in this pregnancy. Pharmacist said antihistamines were out, but gave me some hydrocortisone cream which took the edge off the itching, at least.

tawrag Sun 31-Jul-11 07:41:51

Tiger Balm. Used it all the time in the tropics. Still do in Scotland for clegs and midge bites.

belgo Sun 31-Jul-11 07:50:56

Could it be a tick bite? I think you should go and see a doctor asap because the circles you describe could be a 'bull's eye' rash, typical of Lyme disease. (I am just saying this as a possibility, I am not diagnosing you over the internet)

I think you should see a doctor today.

annekins Mon 01-Aug-11 21:14:43

When I worked on a summer camp in the US, where I was literally eaten alive by mosquitos for 3 months at a time, they used to cover me in meat seasoning that contained all kinds of stuff that tenderized meat...Sounds utterly barmy I know, but it really did make a difference (or else the comedy of the situation distracted me from the ridiculous itching!).

Something to do with chemical reactions...i'm an accountant, not a chemist!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now