Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Harrogate Hospital..anyone got any experiences?

(6 Posts)
GeneralDisarray Sat 30-Jul-11 00:23:04

Expecting first little one in September and haven't heard much good or bad about the delivery ward/postnatal at Harrogate (where we are) - anyone out there with tips or experiences?

JenniL1977 Sat 30-Jul-11 00:32:32

Hello Disarray,
I'm in Harrogate and due in two weeks, so we're not so far apart!
I'm planning a homebirth, but if you call the antenatal ward they'll give you a tour of all the facilities. When I've been in for check ups it's been really clean and as far as I can tell the wing is pretty newly built/refurbished.
I haven't heard anything shocking about postnatal either, all the midwives I've had have been awesome, and I (so far) can't fault the care I've had while pg here.
It's my first baby so don't have any actual experience though.
Let me know if you want any details of meet-ups/ bf groups etc, there seems to be a lot going on round here.
Maybe see you around ;)

Zuzi Mon 01-Aug-11 10:48:53

I had two babies in Harrogate, cannot say anything negative. First baby 5 years ago, lovely waterbirth, gentle and very understanding midwife. Second 2 years ago - very quick delivery so not much to report. Had to stay in hospital a week both times due to babies needing phototherapy (jaundice), so spent quite a long time on the post natal ward. Again, a lot of help with b/feeding (needed it first time round a lot!), midwives lovely and they even have a day room + conservatory which was actually nice having been in for a week each time. Good luck ladies!
Now expecting 3rd baby, but would really really love to have a homebirth.

GeneralDisarray Tue 02-Aug-11 20:06:18

Thanks - lovely to hear nice things about a postnatal ward when you hear so many horror stories!! Good luck with 3rd little one Zuzi if I have any more I would love a homebirth but not quite brave enough first time round..good luck to you both!!

Four4me Tue 02-Aug-11 21:59:47

I have had dc 1, 2 and 4 in Harrogate District and had super care. Dc1 was on scbu there and the staff were amazing. Dc3 was a planned home birth delivered by one of HDH midwifes. Where I live I had the option of harrogate, York or northallerton. They are all good units, we are lucky. I have worked in all three, (I am a physiotherapist) and I picked HDH!

Good luck to you all!

jenna13 Wed 03-Aug-11 12:25:49

i gave birth at harrogate 3 weeks ago. It was really quiet when i was there, for most of my labor i was the only woman giving birth, all the care was really really good, there was only one midwife on the post natal ward who was a bit grumpy and i only saw her the once, everyone else was fantastic, loads of help breastfeeding, someone always came literally as soon as i pressed the buzzer. really can't complain about any of the care and my birth was quite difficult, think i'm going to send them some flowers or biscuits actually :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now